MakeHuman .mhx > Blender > Collada > Away3D - Game Dev Pipeline

Software: Away3D 4.x

TheBard, Newbie
Posted: 02 February 2014 05:53 PM   Total Posts: 8

I am fairly new to Away 3D.

I made a model in MakeHuman and exported it using the Collada game rig settings.  I imported it into Blender and then exported the final animations in Collada/DAE format.  The DAE I then embedded in my Away3D project.

All ran fine.

I then realised I needed some finer animations such as eye-blinking which is not available using the Collada game rig export in MakeHuman. 

I started again by exporting the model from MakeHuman in the .mhx format which Blender accepts.  This has all the features needed to animate facial expressions.  After animating I exported again as Collada/DAE from Blender.

When I loaded the new Collada file into my Away3D project,  it did not run.  Although I managed to get the models and animation to load,  they do not get past the render() call.

I am stuck on the part where the parser checks the weight and joint indices to decide whether to use CompactSubGeometry or SkinnedSubGeometry for the submeshes.  Of course with the more complex model there are more submeshes,  but for some reason I believe the weight and joint indices are not being output in the new Collada file so Away3d is using CompactSubGeometry and cannot coerce to SkinnedSubGeometry.

Does anyone know enough about the .mhx,  Blender or Collada settings to enable me to output the weight and joint indices? 

Any kind of workaround would be helpful.

TheBard, Newbie
Posted: 04 February 2014 07:28 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 1 ]

I got a good thorough reply on the MakeHuman forum.

Unfortunately it only helped with the joint weights and I am still having problems with the model looking spikey in Away3D.

See the MakeHuman post for more updates!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X