Models Flickering…

Software: Away3D 4.x

ScottL, Newbie
Posted: 27 August 2013 10:55 AM   Total Posts: 7

Hey Guys,
I’m having an issue where the vertices on my models flash randomly and crazily all over the place.  It’s not a minor glitch, everything looks horrible, flickering randomly all over the place.

I’ve been doing some Google searching and I *think* it has to do with the Z-order of the vertices being rendered.

Away 3D 3.6 had a CORRECT_Z_ORDER command you could send to the renderer, but Away3D 4.0 does not.

The other solution that was provided is the scale of the objects are too large.  It’s happening on objects that are 0.9 units in length/width/height.

I’m stumped and I’ve exhausted everything I know of that could fix it.

Thanks for the help.

I’ve attached a screenshot of a model in away builder (the way the model is supposed to look) vs the same model in Away 3D running in flash player with the visual glitches.

SharpEdge, Member
Posted: 29 August 2013 11:04 AM   Total Posts: 94   [ # 1 ]

Maybe i’m totally wrong and your problem has nothing to do with this, but have you tried to set DepthAndStencil option to true?

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 29 August 2013 11:57 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 2 ]

0.9 units in length/width/height??? I generally use 1 unit as 1 centimeter.

I think you want to scale everything up a lot.
You are sure to get issues with z-fighting when your vertex values are so very close to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

Good Luck!

ScottL, Newbie
Posted: 29 August 2013 08:43 PM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 3 ]

Thanks for the replies guys,
I’ve already tried enabling DepthAndStencil with no effect.

All of my models are at 1 unit = 1 inch, I scaled them down to 1 unit = 1 meter to see if that would fix the problem and it hasn’t.  So yes, my models are quite a bit larger.

The z-fighting is definitely what’s happening.  At this point I feel like it might be an away3d limitation.  I’ve used these same models in a WebGL project without any issues.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 August 2013 06:11 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 4 ]

Any chance you could send a model?
Another thing I’ve experienced when taking models from Collada, is a kind of “double skinning” where it’s as if there are faces facing both in and out.
A quick tidy up in 3DS Max can usually fix this.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X