Best practise when exporting 3D models

Software: Prefab3D

SuperSam, Sr. Member
Posted: 24 April 2013 01:07 PM   Total Posts: 102

I wanted to steer off slightly from this topic, but it’s more respectful to do it in a separate thread.

So for larger game projects that load assets from the web, is it better practise to bundle textures into the 3D model file or to load them separately ? I would intuitively say the latter, but would like to make sure.

Then what about methods, shaders and whatever else it is that you can export in an AWD file ? Should they be separate and the model hold only geometry, skeleton and mesh ?

Thanks.

SuperSam, Sr. Member
Posted: 25 April 2013 08:28 PM   Total Posts: 102   [ # 1 ]

Anyone ?

The question is basically about workflow and how professionals organize and load their assets in a 3D game.

Bartek5186, Newbie
Posted: 26 April 2013 06:24 AM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 2 ]

I think better solution is to load zipped model and texture from uri… If texture are small, you can embed it to this package too. Its hard question because you can have texture pack for mipmap from 2048 to 1px and with good quality this file can be x more larger than geometry (for low/medium poly)

SuperSam, Sr. Member
Posted: 26 April 2013 10:22 AM   Total Posts: 102   [ # 3 ]

Okay, so if I get it properly professionals export the models from their 3D tool as a separate file than its textures, then pack both in a structure such as a ZIP.

Thanks. I’ll dig more but that’s a good start smile

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X