How to monitor video memory?

Software: Away3D 4.x

chocobo_green, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 March 2013 08:47 AM   Total Posts: 38

In AwayStats there are ram info. But sometimes it’s gpu ram that overflows. I want to know how much I have in my GPU and how much left. I searched and surprisingly found that nobody talked about it!

I know there are platform applications such as GPU_Z that can do monitoring but that’s not the point. I was thinking about using low texture when vram is running low. So it’s only useful in actionscript.

_kihu, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 March 2013 09:31 AM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 1 ]

Use Adobe Scout! smile

Posted: 12 March 2013 10:49 AM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 2 ]

Thanks! That’s something interesting. But it looks like a profiling tool. Can I use it for every user? My purpose is to swap different resources to save vram according to each user’s running instance.

_kihu, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 March 2013 10:56 AM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 3 ]

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. I believe this might help:
http://jacksondunstan.com/articles/1465

Posted: 12 March 2013 12:49 PM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 4 ]

Thank you, _kihu. That is the most relavant article I read up to now. It tells adobe just doesn’t provide vram api so nobody can do it directly. And the author provided one workaround but it simply doesn’t work for the flash player today. Not on my machine nor the other reader who replied. So I sadly take it impossible.

Could some big potato such as Away3D developer issue one feature request to adobe? I’m facing vram management hazerd and I believe many will face the same thing as Away3D is stepping out of lab and into industry.

_kihu, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 March 2013 01:53 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 5 ]

It kind of worked on my machine, on Chrome - ‘pepper’ flash player. It might not show your full GPU vram capabilities since other running applications can use vram at the same time.

Posted: 12 March 2013 02:22 PM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 6 ]

What does it show? Total vram or available vram? Available vram is most needed and with that, total vram could help.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X