Maps in games?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Kirill-P, Newbie
Posted: 10 March 2013 02:46 PM   Total Posts: 1

How would one go around making a map for a 3d game made using Away3D?

I’m new to the whole 3d development scene so I’m clueless about how things are usually done and what is considered a good practice.

Are maps just regular models (awd/obj/etc.) loaded into the engine? Or are they some sort of hashes of multiple objects? Is there a standard for this? Does Away3D have any native support for these kind of things?

Thanks.

geekay, Jr. Member
Posted: 10 March 2013 04:52 PM   Total Posts: 40   [ # 1 ]

I have no idea myself… I usually fake it till I made it…

What I like to try and accomplish when possible is to create ‘stages’... think Portal I/II. When you play the game, a small zone is loaded (fully), then later when you finish the stage, you then go to a loading screen, remove the old stage and add a new one.

However, if you look at games like WoW, where the world is far too expansive for a single mesh (presumably), I am sure they are patch-working different models together (loading them in when needed), or procedurally creating the terrain (the latter of which I have virtually no working knowledge about, but I have heard some talk that away3d can do this).

tl;dr I dono… but I would love to hear how others tackle this issue!

Babylon, Jr. Member
Posted: 11 March 2013 08:06 PM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 2 ]

I guess it would depend on how your world objects are made and how you want to keep track of that information. Also depending on how much detail you want your map to be.

You could for each object drawn to the scene do something like draw hand made icons to some bitmap data using their x, z positions to draw to the X, Y of the bit map.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X