Hello, and 2 Away3D issues ( inc Constrained mode )

Software: Away3D 4.x

Mal Duffin, Newbie
Posted: 06 March 2013 04:03 PM   Total Posts: 14

Hi folks,

I represent a Shockwave 3D development company who are now evaluating Flash CS6 / Stage3D.  I’m trying out Away3D 4.x mainly as it was recommended as part of the Flash Game Development kit.  I’m using a Mac with an Integrated Intel graphics chipset to test, as this is the lowest hardware we have to support ( i.e. Constrained Mode support is huge for us ).

Previous example - this is the type of content we have developed in the past in Shockwave 3D.
http://www.candointeractive.com/art/gallery/masters/

Issue 1
With Away3D and CS6, I can’t seem to have both a button fire an event and an Away3D view added to the stage.  The Away3D view seems to eat up the events ( if I disable the .addChild ( view ) line to add the view to the stage, the button event works.  When I enable it, the button doesn’t work.

Issue 2/3
I was working on a full-screen toggle ( which is why I was wanting to get the button above working ).  For now, I’ve tied this into just a keypress and it works OK.

Issue 2 is that the default test view within CS is always software.  If I run the debug test view, I get OpenGL ( it just shows OpenG ).

Issue 3 is related - when I resize, the 3D view either disappears when in software mode.

If anyone could confirm that these are known bugs ( I’ve looked through the forums, but can’t see anything ), or if it’s working OK for you, that would be great.

For now, developing within CS6 on Mac is key for us ( and is probably important for other Flash CS6 users who want to get into 3D gaming / iOS delivery ), hopefully I’m either doing something small wrong, or it’s a simple bug that can be fixed in Away3D.

I’m looking forward to evaluating Away3D further, I’ll keep prototyping in the meantime and will hopefully be able to help give help to others in the near future if we decide to go with Away3D for future projects.

Best regards…
Mal

Mal Duffin, Newbie
Posted: 06 March 2013 04:09 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 1 ]

Here’s the AS3 class code that’s linked with the FLA file - the only other setup within the FLA is the button that is called button1.  If you uncomment / comment the very last line with addChild, the button does’t work / works.  As I’m trying to get some very simple demos together to show basic functionality ( eg have the button toggle fullscreen ), it’s very frustrating to not be able to get even a basic trace message.

package
{
import flash.display.MovieClip;
import flash.events.*;

import away3d.containers.View3D ;

public class Away3DFullScreen extends MovieClip
{
  var _view3D:View3D ;

public function Away3DFullScreen()
  { 
  initialise_3D () ;

button1.addEventListener ( MouseEvent.CLICK, _onMouseClick ) ; 
  }

function _onMouseClick ( e:MouseEvent )
  {
  trace ( “Mouse Clicked” ) ;
  }

function initialise_3D ()
  {
  _view3D = new View3D () ;
  _view3D.width = stage.stageWidth ;
  _view3D.height = stage.stageHeight ;

//this.addChild ( _view3D ) ;
  }
}
}

Mal Duffin, Newbie
Posted: 06 March 2013 10:07 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 2 ]

OK, I downloaded another 3D engine ( Alternativa3D ) and tried it out a similar example.

In both cases, I’m seeing the same effect - if I make the 3D view 90% of the width of the stage, and place a button half off / half over that part of the stage, then running the app will mean that I can click on the button that isn’t overlaid, but the part that the 3D view overlaps can’t be clicked on.

Is anyone working with CS6, and mixing 3D with 2D buttons etc?

Many thanks in advance for any help!  I’ll keep chipping away here to see if I can figure it out, and will post if I get an answer.

Mal Duffin, Newbie
Posted: 07 March 2013 01:43 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 3 ]

A quick update…

I went back to basics and tried out a script using Stage3D directly - this allowed me to use the button OK within CS6.

I then downloaded and tried out Flare 3D - the button also worked here.

As I don’t have a lot of time to evaluate, I’m going to use Flare 3D for developing our in-house tests for now, but I have git-ted the latest Away3D code and hope to put time aside to try to figure out how to get this feature working ( I’d prefer to work with open source - I contributed some patches to Blender 3D in the past - but I don’t have a problem paying for a commercial product either ). At the moment the priority is creating proof of concept demos to see if we can switch over to using Flash 3D, and right now Flare 3D works with CS6 and buttons and Away3D / Alternativa3D doesn’t work ).

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X