MeshHelper.recenterContainer() for CompactSubGeometry

Software: Away3D 4.x

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 26 February 2013 08:42 PM   Total Posts: 119

I have an awd file that i am exporting from Prefab3D.  It looks great when I collapse it but when i try to manipulate one of the sub components it does not pivot from its center as it should.

I try MeshHelper.recenterContainer() but the problem is that because of collapse the object is now a a CompactSubGeometry can therefore recenter does not apply.

Any suggestions?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 26 February 2013 10:00 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

set recenter at load in prefs of prefab and reload your model. or select the models that you want to recenter, and right mouseclick recenter. then export. If you have multiple meshes sharing same materials merge then. Collapse is there for awd 2.0 specs because it doesn’t support multiple materials per mesh. So you do not really need that. In case your really need it, use collapse within the scene, then recenter.
Finally export awd. If you load only one awd, you can also consider as3 where no loaders are required and allows you to have multiple materials per mesh.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 26 February 2013 10:36 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 2 ]

So I have 10 objects in the scene.  I want to take 5 of them an “collapse” or “merge” them so I can just manipulate that 1 object at runtime.

I was actually using the “merge” option. But when I export my AWD model.  The newly merged object has a checkerboard texture, not showing the real texture.

That is when I chose “collapse” in the exporter.  The object looks better with most of the material looking correct but that is where the pivot point is incorrect.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 February 2013 01:43 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 3 ]

In addition,

For whatever reason, what I see in Prefab 3D is not what I end up seeing in my project even if I just import some OBJ files into Prefab then export AWD 2 without merging, collapsing or doing anything else.

Also when I try to import the exported AWD file into Prefab 3D it loads but my scene displays nothing and no items show up in the hierarchy.

Posted: 27 February 2013 02:01 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 4 ]

//exports with collapse.
That’s the exact expected behavior. As said, awd2 specs 2.0 doesn’t support multiple materials per mesh.
Say you have 3 same cubes, 2 having same material, 1 different.
If you merge the 3 cubes, the resulting mesh is having 2 subgeometries. One of them having twice as much data into its buffers. 2 materials. If you then in prefab scene or at export use collapse, you end up with 2 meshes. not 3. Thats why I’ve said, if you do not have shared materials, merging doesn’t really make sens as it needs to be brought back to 2 meshes because its not supported in 2.0 specs of the awd format.
If you export a multiple materials mesh, such as the result of a merge, the awd2 parser will consider only the first encourtered material. if you have collapsed, it will apply as expected.
spec 2.1 should adress this issue.

Regarding second issue:
You probably use embed materials as option. This issue has been reported, is fixed and will be part of next update which I hope to push out very soon.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 February 2013 02:14 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 5 ]

I will try without embedding.

Also when I updated from 2.140 to 2.141 I can no longer open projects I created with 2.140.

I will now post in the prefab forum as I realize that is the right place for this topic now.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 February 2013 02:34 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 6 ]

Lastly,

All I am looking to achieve is to take 5 or so meshes and to put them in a single display object container with it’s pivot point at the center of the bounding box.  I don’t actually need to collapse anything.

Is there a way to do this in Prefab 3D or should I set this up in 3ds Max somethow?

Thanks.

Posted: 27 February 2013 03:10 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 7 ]

Can you please send me one of your “faulty” projects? There were “baby” issues on prior versions, but 140 to 141 should not be an issue. Unless they originated from earlyer versions. It would be very usefull for me to test these to ensure the errors are no longer possible in newer version.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 February 2013 03:15 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 8 ]

Sure but please provide me a private place to send the file as it is corporate content that I would like to avoid posting publicly.

Posted: 27 February 2013 03:21 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 9 ]

fabrice3d at gmail dot com

btw, forgot answer: yes, as explained above. Simply select the mesh(es) and press the recenter option or rightMouse click/recenter.
then export.

relgycandy, Newbie
Posted: 04 March 2013 06:38 AM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 10 ]

That is when I chose “collapse” in the exporter.  The object looks better with most of the material looking correct but that is where the pivot point is incorrect.

Posted: 04 March 2013 12:52 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 11 ]

That is explained above: if you need to collapse for awd2, its because awd doesn’t support multiple materials. Collapse is in exporter panel for the ease, and will generate meshes from a mesh with multiple materials.
The data in object space is exact same, which in return of course may excenter the pivot point depending on subgeometries data.

If the pivot matters to your application and you want to export as awd2,
You need to collapse in scene first if you have a muliple material mesh, then recenter, then export as awd2. Unless you have loads of meshes sharing same material, it makes very little sens to merge and then collapse for awd2 export. If you use as3, multiple materials are supported.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X