Can someone help me with developing an explosion?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Miha003, Newbie
Posted: 12 December 2012 02:43 PM   Total Posts: 26

Hi,

I am trying to create an explosion using the latest away3d 4.1.0 alpha.
What I want to achieve is to simulate the destruction of an aircraft.
Since I am beginner, first I tried to make a sphere explode using the tutorials for BasicFire and Intermediate_ParticleExplosion. But no matter how I try, I can;t put them together.

Since I am ashamed of my futile attempts, I am not going to post them here.

I would like if possible to not get advices like use Flint, or Liaocheng or Tween or etc.

Maybe a code sample or something would help me more.
Is it possible to acheive what I want only with away3d…without using all those add-ons? 

Thanks in advance,
Miha

Rasterizer, Member
Posted: 12 December 2012 04:47 PM   Total Posts: 69   [ # 1 ]

You can get a lot done in Away3D, but bear in mind the limitations of Stage3D.
If I was you, I’d look at animating the entire destruction in your 3D package using its native physics capabilities and capturing the data in a format Away3D likes. For Particles, you’d have to come with some kind of scripting that would allow you to start particles in different ways and positions over time. A simple XML file would do the trick. You can pre-allocate the particle generators and start them up at the correct time. There is a lot of trial and error in this however, but you have everything under control.

If you however wanted to make this all dynamic at runtime, that’s a completely different beast. AwayPhysics would probably answer most of your questions however the results might be that - dynamic.

Miha003, Newbie
Posted: 12 December 2012 06:04 PM   Total Posts: 26   [ # 2 ]

Well, I guess I could try do the animation in Blender, export it as OBJ frames or something, import them in Prefab, export them as awd and put them on the screen.

However guess what, my knowledge of Blender is like my knowledge of away3d….very poor.  But since I am not a designer, I am a programmer, I incline to do this programatically, that is simulate an explosion like a fire ball or similar fast enough to hide the aircraft…..and the player would not notice :D:D

From your experience, would that work?

Rasterizer, Member
Posted: 12 December 2012 06:43 PM   Total Posts: 69   [ # 3 ]

Well it all depends on what your expectations are and how much of a fidelity you want to give the player…

For some situations, a simple fireball will do, some require a more elaborate destruction. In all honesty, you need to find a happy middle ground between Stage3D limitations and player’s expectations in 2012. Just google newest 3D flash games.

‹‹ 2D rotation

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X