understanding multiple textures

Software: Away3D 4.x

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 16 November 2012 03:29 PM   Total Posts: 99

hey guys i have a question in understanding multiple textures.
when i create my models with cinema 4d i have a baking option, where i can either bake all lights shadows etc in one bitmap or bake single bitmaps for every “feature”. is there a big reason why i should not use the baking “all-in-one”?
will there be a difference when using single maps in away3d?
it would be nice if someone can explain the main things about it.

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 17 November 2012 11:22 PM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 1 ]

no one?

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 18 November 2012 04:51 AM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 2 ]

Maybe you need to make your question more specific?

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 18 November 2012 12:31 PM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 3 ]

thank you, okay.
i want to have global illuminated rooms in my projects, so i bake lights and shadows with c4d into one bitmap. but there are options to bake light and shadows into seperate textures. so i have one color bitmap, one light bitmap and one shadow bitmap.
my question is: what to do with those separate bitmaps? is away3d able to handle these bitmaps separate? how?

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 18 November 2012 04:17 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 4 ]

I would use separate maps unless there is a reason not to do so. In AS3, you would have to combine the bitmaps into a final bitmap, which would become a texture and then a material anyway.

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 19 November 2012 07:38 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 5 ]

thank you alejandro, but i see my question is still not good enough. i think i have to open a new thread with another topic. but thank you for your replies, they did help.

edit: sry looking at ATF-textures i found something.
at the away3d “introduction to ATF textures”, in the example there i found:

./png2atf -c d --q 0 -f 0 -i YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_diffuse.png -o YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_diffuse.atf
./png2atf -c d --q 0 -f 0 -i YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_normal.png -o YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_normal.atf
./png2atf -c d --q 0 -f 0 -i YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_specular.png -o YOUR_PROJECT_PATH/asset/cube/trinket_specular.atf 

so there are three textures files created for only one object. my question is how to use these three files in away3d. how can away use the specular map and the diffuse map? and would the result be better as when i bake these three maps directly together with c4d?

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 19 November 2012 09:23 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 6 ]

hey, now i found the Globe Materials Tutorial and Introduction to Materials on this Website and this is excactly what i need to know, but i still have questions about it.

do the normal, specular and ambient maps only have an effect when i add a dynamic light ot the scene?

when adding these additional maps to my material should the diffuse map has shadow and light baked anyway?

please answer these two important questions for me ^^

thank you

TonyBeward, Newbie
Posted: 19 November 2012 09:54 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 7 ]

But can it be helpful to fix the problem? I have a doubt.

horseback riding Mexico

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X