3ds import problem - dependancy texture not being applied [Broomstick]

Software: Away3D 4.x

cbrown, Jr. Member
Posted: 11 June 2011 10:37 PM   Total Posts: 39

Congrats on the new site, guys!  Looks great!  And I’m sure I speak for a lot of folks when I say I’m just pleased as peaches there is now a forum on the Away3D site.  Peaches I tell you!  smile

Now then… I am importing a 3ds file using Loader3D in Broomstick.  It loads fine however for some reason it won’t apply the image texture associated with the 3ds file.  I am using AssetLoaderContext and setting the AssetLoaderContext.dependencyBaseUrl and AssetLoaderContext.overrideAbsolutePaths.  When I trace the bitmap after the LoaderEvent.RESOURCE_COMPLETE event it shows the image dependency loaded, but for some reason it just won’t apply it to the object.

You can download the source files here:
http://files.envirant.com/test3dsimport.zip

You can see by running the html that it is a simple 3D scene with a cube and a column.  The column object should be getting the jpg texture applied to it, but instead only the default checker texture shows up.  And I know there are UVs as I carefully applied them to the column object.  And judging from the way the default checker texture is wrapping to the column the UVs appear to be coming through in the export.

I included all source files including the 3ds file.  I am using the Flash CS5 IDE ... all the code is on the first frame of the FLA.

Hoping someone has an idea.  Thanks!

Signature 
signature_image

whatever is good to know is difficult to learn

Rob Bateman, Administrator
Posted: 12 June 2011 07:05 PM   Total Posts: 120   [ # 1 ]

Hey cbrown

Your code looks fine so my guess would be that this is a bug in the current 3DS parser. I would recommend you add a bug report in our new github repo (preferably with the sample file) and we’ll see what we can do to fix things:

https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-broomstick/issues

The problem seems to be related to setting multiple materials on a 3ds mesh - if you can, try removing your extra material instances (they don’t appear to be used anyway) in your 3ds file and that may provide a short term solution

cheers

Rob

cbrown, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 June 2011 07:34 PM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 2 ]

Thanks, Rob.  Indeed the problem is multiple materials on a single mesh.  I applied a single material to the column and it worked.  I’ll log the bug over at github.  Thanks

Signature 
signature_image

whatever is good to know is difficult to learn

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X