generic6Dof.getRotationalLimitMotor(1).targetVelocity apparently capped at 8, on pinball flipper usage

Software: Away3D 4.x

salvador, Newbie
Posted: 17 October 2012 01:53 PM   Total Posts: 4

I need my pinball flippers, to turn faster. I had decided on using a generic6Dof, to use the rotationalLimitMotor to drive the flipping from its own guts, instead of being passively impulsed. In this way, on top I can easily link to limit the range of turning to 30 degrees.

Though I perceive a rotational speed increment as I increase targetVelocity, from 1 to 8, higher numbers result in no apparent turning speed.

In summary these two lines below yield the same physical result:
generic6Dof.getRotationalLimitMotor(1).targetVelocity =1;//slow
generic6Dof.getRotationalLimitMotor(1).targetVelocity =7;//faster
generic6Dof.getRotationalLimitMotor(1).targetVelocity =8;//fastest
generic6Dof.getRotationalLimitMotor(1).targetVelocity = 1000;//=8

I tried messing about with damping, force, etc…  but these seem to be not-operative.

How do I increase the turning speed?

Another thing I would like to improve, is the way the flipper reaches its limits, it does it too softly, I would like to feel the sudden impact. I am not sure but this could be related to the problem above, bullet thinking that if it wants a soft landing on the angular limit, going over 8 would be impossible. I tried to affect this with the motor’s limitSoftness, bounce ... no perceivable effects that I could anchor on to infere a way into the model.

How do I make the flipper hit strongly its angular limit, without bouncing, in the spirit of real pinball machines?

I am starting to question the use of this generic6Dof, for this use, with fears that may be is modelled for vehicles which have lower accelerations than a pinball flipper. :-( The C documentation is as dry as it can be.

georgegroshem, Newbie
Posted: 23 March 2013 06:19 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 1 ]

Share some tutorials associated with this so that we can try to make something out of it.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X