Away3D 3.6 vs 4.0 & 2D-layers

Software: Away3D 3.x

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 05 October 2012 08:03 PM   Total Posts: 22

Hi everyone,
Currently I am working on a small 3D scene in 3DS Max, which I later want to turn into a .swf with Away3D. The scene is basically a room with thing like chairs, a desk, and some random stuff like a mobile phone. The idea is that you can click on various things and that a 2D-version movieclip will pop up.

For an example, when you click on the mobile phone, you will be able to go to the SMS-inbox of the phone and look at different messages. The user would do this by clicking on the screen of the phone, the phone itself would preferably be in 2D.

I am having a bit of a dilemma here. I know that my target group for this hasn’t got high end computers and quite a few of them will have computers that aren’t completely up to date. This would mean that Away3D 3.6 would be my best option, since it can export for Flash Player 10. For Away3D 4.0, the user needs at least Flash Player 11 from what I can see. However, I am unsure if I can use 2D-layers in 3.6, which is sort of a must.

Does anyone know how I would achieve the 2D-layers with 3.6? Or does anyone perhaps know recent statistics about the adoption rate of Flash Player that show what percentage of desktop users have Flash Player 11 installed? If I can find statistics about that somewhere that show that more than 90% of desktop users have Flash Player 11 installed, I could probably go for using Away3D 4.0 .

John Wilson, Member
Posted: 06 October 2012 07:13 AM   Total Posts: 62   [ # 1 ]

Oh, sorry - the link I posted is just for Shockwave.

John Wilson, Member
Posted: 06 October 2012 07:14 AM   Total Posts: 62   [ # 2 ]

Flash Player penetration statistics are at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/version_penetration.html

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 06 October 2012 10:51 AM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 3 ]

Hi John,
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately the statistics there aren’t very recent; the most recent statistics are from March 2010, more than three years ago. I’m guessing the statistics have changed quiteva bit since that time.

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 06 October 2012 11:50 AM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 4 ]

hi

i couldnt find any newer statistics too.
only this
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashruntimes/statistics.html but thats not very usefull, since it not specifiec (no percentages)

one reason to stick with away3d 3.6 for your project, is the possibility to have interactive Movieclips positioned in your 3d scene. this functionality is not available with away3d 4 atm.
there are some workarrounds to have this in away3d 4 too, but i didnt tested them.
http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/1131/

if i where you, i would consider building the project with away3d 3.6, and when thats done port it over to a away3d 4 version. this way you wouldnt have to worry if the user uses flash player 10 or 11.

hope that helps

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 07 October 2012 11:42 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 5 ]

Hi 80prozent,
Thanks for the tip on porting from 3.6 to 4.0, I am gonna try that one out smile

Concerning the interactive Movieclips: I am looking more in the direction of popup (the scene behind it doesn’t necesarily need to show), so that when you click on an object, perhaps a chair, you get a small screen with information on that chair. The 3D-room doesn’t need to be visible when you get the screen with the info, but it would be nice.

In some of the examples for Away3D they have this little signature in the bottom left corner, I’d basically need something like that, only it should only show when the user clicks on a certain object. And for other parts of the scene I’d need the same, only with some basic interactivity like clicking buttons/gotoAndPlay.

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 09 October 2012 12:12 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 6 ]

Just a small bump smile Does anyone have any idea how I could have 2D-pop ups when clicking on an object in Away 3D 3.6?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X