Light & Shadow performance

Software: Away3D 4.x

yyovchev, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 12:34 PM   Total Posts: 29

Is there any way for optimisation of shadows at runtime. Looking for something like update shadow map only if it is needed ( surface caching ) or any other way for increase performance?

yyovchev, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 03:40 PM   Total Posts: 29   [ # 1 ]

Anyone? There should be way for this to be done.

David Lenaerts, Administrator
Posted: 18 July 2012 04:03 PM   Total Posts: 80   [ # 2 ]

There’s nothing in place to do so right now, but makes an interesting feature request. Feel free to post one here: https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues

yyovchev, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 04:21 PM   Total Posts: 29   [ # 3 ]

I thought that for static objects there is a way to achieve optimisation. I’ll submit a request in github.

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 18 July 2012 06:13 PM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 4 ]

For static objects you can generate lightmaps using your 3D software (3DSmax, Maya etc ).

The main problem will be that in most cases it’ll require a second UV set, and that you won’t be able to export a mesh with 2 UV sets (or it’ll export fine but you’ll have just one UV set).

You’ll have to export 2 versions of your mesh, one with the regular texture UV set (for example a tiling floor or wall, which repeats) and another one with the lightmap UV set (which doesn’t repeat, typically).

yyovchev, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 06:19 PM   Total Posts: 29   [ # 5 ]

My objects are static in the scene but they are dynamically generated. Shadows are too expensive that’s why I asked for optimisation at runtime.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X