Any viable method/workflow for importing C4D models into A3D? 

Software: Away3D 4.x

DrStrangelove, Newbie
Posted: 06 July 2012 02:31 PM   Total Posts: 1

Hello all,

I am a creative director and our dev team has opted to use A3D for a web project. We are a strictly Cinema 4D House and are having a hell of a time finding a solution to ingesting some simple models with textures into A3D from C4D.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I’ve searched the forums and found some dead threads about a C4D-A3D export script and some export to 3DS routes, but nothing that seems to work so far for us.

Exporting to 3DS from C4D is a nightmare when it is ingested into A3D the normals flip, the textures load all wonky. Collada apparently has been disabled, and all other options don’t carry the textures with them.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks! smile

-Dr

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 06 July 2012 08:47 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

If you use the release branch of the GitHub repo (or the final 4.0 release when it comes out very soon) there is actually collada support. You can also export your stuff as Collada, use them during development, and then convert using Prefab to AWD2 which is a more suitable delivery format for the web.

On a separate note, if the 3DS files that you export from C4D load fine in other programs, but not in Away3D, that sounds like a bug or missing functionality in our 3DS parser, and I would appreciate if you could file it as a bug in the GitHub issue tracker, including links to where we could download the models from (e.g. Dropbox.) The tracker is here: http://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues

Thanks!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X