performance test

Software: Away3D 4.x

TrueSign, Member
Posted: 22 May 2012 07:45 PM   Total Posts: 57

Hi,

Did you guys know what is a reasonable number of polys in the scene for a older computers? The project that I’m working on now, is working smoothly on my machine but I’m not sure how it will act on older or weaker computers. Normally on stage there is about 20k polys but with particles going up to 50k sometimes. Do you run any tests or have knowledge about it? I would like to go up with polys for a smoother shape and I’m not sure it’s a good move. It’s still in development process but you can see it at:
http://www.truesign.ie/sheeping/ It’s a match 3 type of game. Do you think I can go up with polys here? I have test it on my machine with 5x times more polys and it was still ok. But what about older machines…

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 23 May 2012 02:38 AM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 1 ]

Nice, stays at a steady 29/30 fps for me

(Core 2 Duo P8600 2.6 Ghz, ATi Mobilty Radeon HD 4570)

This was a half decent laptop about 2 years ago, now entry level i3s are faster than this so…

By the way, bump your project’s fps up to 60 wink

TrueSign, Member
Posted: 23 May 2012 08:49 AM   Total Posts: 57   [ # 2 ]

Great. Thanks for testing.
Isn’t 60fps slow down everything?

Cheng Liao, Administrator
Posted: 23 May 2012 09:57 AM   Total Posts: 116   [ # 3 ]

What a creative game!
It dosen’t use shadow render,so I think it can even run on the mobile !

TrueSign, Member
Posted: 23 May 2012 10:13 AM   Total Posts: 57   [ # 4 ]

Thank you liaocheng.
I have used you particle system in there (fountain and explode). If that game will be finished (if ever) you will be in credits. You can give me your details what should I place in there. Link to your website or email address. And thank you for sharing you particle system with us.
BTW in you particle system one class is generating trace statements. Where can I find this to turn it off? And one more thing: I have a error once in a while:
ParticleAnimationState.as(67): col: 28 Error: Method marked override must override another method.
It happens only sometimes, a specially when try to run app for a first time when open flashdevelop.

ps. I have changed fps to 48 now

Posted: 23 May 2012 10:35 AM   Total Posts: 116   [ # 5 ]

Hi
  The particle system has been merge into
https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/tree/particlesfeature.
You can comment out the trace statements and do anything you want to.
I will comment it out tomorrow and commit it.
I suggest you use this branch ,becase I have done some optimization and fixed some bug for the away3d engine.
BTW you can use the https://github.com/liaocheng/particle_effect_editor
to create more wonderful effects. wink

TrueSign, Member
Posted: 23 May 2012 11:11 AM   Total Posts: 57   [ # 6 ]

Thanks liaocheng. I will definitely check out particle editor. I will update away3d library in my project as well.

Posted: 23 May 2012 01:21 PM   Total Posts: 116   [ # 7 ]

43/48 fps
Core 2 Duo t5670 1.8 Ghz, GeForce 9300m

TrueSign, Member
Posted: 23 May 2012 01:42 PM   Total Posts: 57   [ # 8 ]

Nice job with a particle effect editor. I will try to find a nice effect for my game using it.
Thank you for testing. I think I will go up a little bit with polys.
I switch to merged github version and still have the same error on first time I run my app. It doesn’t bother me too much though.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X