Is Away3d the right tool for the job?

Software: Away3D 4.x

seidaku, Newbie
Posted: 13 March 2012 03:16 PM   Total Posts: 1

I’m looking to create a turn-based, grid-based tactical combat game, similar in UI to games such as Final Fantasy Tactics. I’d like to have battle maps that are presented as an isometric three dimensional grid. Units on the map would, ideally, be either sprites or vector graphics (see the video of FFT for an example). All movement would be restricted to the grid, moving from one cube to an adjacent cube.

I initially looked into 2d isometric engines to build upon, but they all seem to be too limited for what I’m after. I would really like to be able to rotate the camera, for instance. Hence, I’m exploring 3d options, though with the caveat that the only 3d I’m interested in is the battle map itself. Everything else can be either sprite or vector based.

My question for you Away3D experts is: is using Away3D the right tool for the job? Does it allow for the type of mixed sprite/vector graphics I’ve described? How much effort would it be to get a simple cube-based map put together that I can move sprites around on?

I’m really just looking to prototype at this point; I’d prefer to spend only a minimal amount of time on implementing the nitty gritty framework details. I’m even fine starting with a flat plane and a fixed camera, assuming I can model the grid on it in the way I’ve described.

Any input would be appreciated!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X