Error running on iPad

Software: Away3D 4.x

Alex Bogartz, Sr. Member
Posted: 05 March 2012 10:29 PM   Total Posts: 216

This is using the latest Away core off Github, as well as the Away example files. I’m running the example that loads the soldier ant.  I’m compiling against the latest playerglobal.swc from Adobe and publishing as 11.2, -swf-version=15.

When I compile to iPad, I’m using the depth stencil and direct mode settings discussed around here, and I set the air version to 3.2 in the app.xml file.

When I run the .ipa file in debug mode, I get an error in RenderableMergeSort.as on line 74.

[Fault] exceptioninformation=TypeErrorError #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference. 

I see the AwayStats module running at 7fps, the ground, but no ant.  The error happens continuously, meaning if I step through it keeps hitting it.

Line 74 has this code:

var aid uint head.renderOrderId

Mousing over the variables in FD, I don’t see what the problem is.  head is not null, and neither is renderOrderId.  That is 0.

Can anyone help?  Is it just a setting somewhere?

Alex Bogartz, Sr. Member
Posted: 06 March 2012 01:48 AM   Total Posts: 216   [ # 1 ]

Also, after a few hours of trial and error, I got the example to compile to an APK file.  It also seems to hang in the same place, although I can’t get the debugger to connect to my phone.

This is on a Samsung Exhibit, but I’m not sure if that’s relevant.  It seems the have an error in parsing the soldier ant example, but only on mobile.

I hope this is enough information.

3dNewb, Sr. Member
Posted: 17 March 2012 12:48 PM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 2 ]

Any update for this? I am looking at the same error

TypeErrorError #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

at away3d.core.sort::RenderableMergeSort/mergeSort()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\sort\RenderableMergeSort.as:74]
 at away3d
.core.sort::RenderableMergeSort/mergeSort()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\sort\RenderableMergeSort.as:56]
 at away3d
.core.sort::RenderableMergeSort/mergeSort()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\sort\RenderableMergeSort.as:56]
 at away3d
 at away3d
.core.sort::RenderableMergeSort/sort()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\sort\RenderableMergeSort.as:29]
 at away3d
.core.render::RendererBase/executeRender()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\render\RendererBase.as:241]
 at away3d
.core.render::RendererBase/render()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\render\RendererBase.as:219]
 at away3d
.lights.shadowmaps::DirectionalShadowMapper/drawDepthMap()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\lights\shadowmaps\DirectionalShadowMapper.as:58]
 at away3d
.lights.shadowmaps::ShadowMapperBase/renderDepthMap()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\lights\shadowmaps\ShadowMapperBase.as:103]
 at away3d
.core.render::DefaultRenderer/updateLights()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\render\DefaultRenderer.as:67]
 at away3d
.core.render::DefaultRenderer/executeRender()[C:\Dropbox\git\away3d-core-fp11\src\away3d\core\render\DefaultRenderer.as:51] 

Everything works fine in the desktop version, it is the mobile app that is causing this trouble.

If there are any contributers out there that are interested in why this is happening, let me know how to debug this. This error is now reported by 4 forum users, so it is a common one.

Update
If you edit the line 74 ( var aid : int ... ) to this:

try {

var aid uint head.renderOrderId;

catch(e:*){
      trace
'error!');

aid 0;

It seems to work fine. But the strange thing is: there is no error/exception caught.

So without the try, catch there is an error, with the try,catch there is NO error and no caught.

Is this an adobe Air bug? I have no idea of the reproduce this in order to submit a bug report to anybody.

jeffrey9700, Newbie
Posted: 19 April 2012 01:29 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 3 ]

Running into the same error as well.

jeffrey9700, Newbie
Posted: 19 April 2012 02:57 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 4 ]

Seems that the error only occurs when debugging on the iPad but not when I release the build and put it on the iPad.

webfraggle, Newbie
Posted: 22 June 2012 03:10 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 5 ]

I had a similar error with latest github download:

[Fault] exceptioninformation=TypeErrorError #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
FaultmergeSort() in RenderableMergeSort.as:92 

Just added a try..catch and it works:

try{

if (head.zIndex headB.zIndexcmp = -1;
      else 
cmp 1;

}catch(error:Error){
      trace
('mergesort error');

cmp 1;

3dNewb, Sr. Member
Posted: 02 July 2012 12:03 PM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 6 ]

Got the same issue here.

Aernil, Newbie
Posted: 06 September 2012 04:54 PM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 7 ]

Hi, having the same problem.
Works fine on desktop, crashes on iPad.
Enclosing it in try-catch block results in nothing rendered at all.
Is there any possibility to circumvent this error?
And what exactly is causing it?
Neither the amount of models nor textures seems to have an influence on this error.
I would be happy for any feedback, tipps or explanation regarding this bug, and if it is already fixed/get fixed.

Jens Chr Brynildsen, Administrator
Posted: 31 October 2012 12:02 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 8 ]

I’m now experiencing the same bug and a try/catch does not even work in the Gold 4.0 release. As seen from the Debugger - this error isn’t even happening (http://flashgamer.com/a/RenderableMergeSort_bug.png) so it must be something much deeper?

In my case, the bug only shows when exporting “Standard” or final files for iOS. For the “Fast” export method, the bug does not occur and it does not show on Android either.

If anyone managed to solve this one, I’d love to hear about it.

J

bluntcoder, Newbie
Posted: 31 October 2012 05:42 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 9 ]

Confirmed - this is the exact same problem I have been having for the last several days. I have narrowed it down to exactly this bug! The original poster posted about this in March of this year. That’s 7 MONTHS AGO. Why hasn’t Away3D done anything about this?

That strange thing is that in the offending line, head.zIndex < headB, both variables are clearly not null in the debugger. I have run into an unrelated bug that happens in ad-hoc/Standard mode but runs fine in debug interpreted mode - so it’s very possible that it’s a bug within the compiler.

This is a Wall, and it’s VERY critical that I get this bug fixed, since I cannot render anything onto the screen without it. Has anyone made a bug report on github about this?

bluntcoder, Newbie
Posted: 31 October 2012 06:02 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 10 ]

I have made a bug in Gitbub here: (https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues/425) using your screenshot Jens Chr Brynildsen, thank you. Hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this. I will be focusing my efforts on this as well.

I’d like to contact Adobe directly because of this however they don’t seem to have a bug forum for Adobe Air for Mobile, at least from what I’ve found.

bluntcoder, Newbie
Posted: 31 October 2012 06:37 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 11 ]

Ok, since this most definitely looks like an Adobe Air problem I have created a bug here: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3356966

Please login and vote for this bug! We can’t use Away3D on the iPad without it fixed!

I will next try the latest Air SDK, since came out a couple of days ago, to see if it’s fixed in there.

Posted: 31 October 2012 07:35 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 12 ]

Cool. I’ve voted for them now.

Posted: 31 October 2012 07:36 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 13 ]

Pls report back if the latest SDK works?

J

bluntcoder, Newbie
Posted: 31 October 2012 07:52 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 14 ]

Nope. Tried latest SDK from Adobe Labs, ()v3.5.0520) and exact same problem. Let’s get as many people on the forum voting for this! I will contact my people at Adobe shortly.

bluntcoder, Newbie
Posted: 01 November 2012 08:15 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 15 ]

Update: Adobe got back to me. They are getting someone from the Air iOS team to look at it. Fingers crossed it gets fixed soon!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X