Flipped normals on 3ds Object, who can help?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 12:08 PM   Total Posts: 17

Hi Guys!

We are currently working on a project, that we use AWAY3D in and just encountered a little problem which you might help us with, so here we go:

We got some 3d models from our customer to be integrated in a 3D POS Application. The model looks ok in 3d Studio (no flipped polys) but when imported into AWAY, it seems that some of the polys on the model are flipped. You can check it here to see what i mean:

http://kunden.flashgressive.de/gordonstrauch/away3d/away3d_ant.html

Does anybody encountered the same problem in the past and has a workaround for this?

Best regards,
Gordon

bardo, Member
Posted: 05 March 2012 01:25 PM   Total Posts: 79   [ # 1 ]

try to use prefab. We got the same result in an old project(3.6). A pass in prefab and everything was resolved . We used COLLADA , but i think is the same , or u can convert it!

PREFAB : http://www.closier.nl/prefab/

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 01:49 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for the hint using prefab, but we already have tried this and are always experiencing this error, any ideas on this, i don’t really get the point, what prefab wants to tell me…

bardo, Member
Posted: 05 March 2012 04:57 PM   Total Posts: 79   [ # 3 ]

have you tried to export first to collada (or other format) and then pass from prefab?

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 05:11 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 4 ]
bardo - 05 March 2012 04:57 PM

have you tried to export first to collada (or other format) and then pass from prefab?

Yapp, thats where i get the error in preFab from. Export as OBJ from 3dsMax—-> import into preFab, then i get the error mentioned above in the screenshot.

Best,
Gordon

bardo, Member
Posted: 05 March 2012 05:20 PM   Total Posts: 79   [ # 5 ]

have you try to open the model with Blender ? and ...exporting to COLLADA , sometime helps to find unused or error node in the model structure ( u can open COLLADA with notepad o falsh develop or whatelse , is just an XML file)

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 05:43 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 6 ]
bardo - 05 March 2012 05:20 PM

have you try to open the model with Blender ? and ...exporting to COLLADA , sometime helps to find unused or error node in the model structure ( u can open COLLADA with notepad o falsh develop or whatelse , is just an XML file)

Just tried what you have suggested, but with no result. Exported model as COLLADA from MAX, then tried to import it into preFab, but preFab won’t import anything and sometimes it will freeze. COLLADA file re-imports into MAX or Blender with no problem.

mike_kennedy, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 06:55 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 7 ]

Make sure all your meshes in Max have UV’s applied, if you have UV’s on channel 2 for instance and not on channel 1 that might though the error.

Also, this is a big one, don’t use the default Collada exported for max, it won’t work, use the Open Collada on, found here, and if your UV’s are working properly, all should be good, you might see the textures missing, but as long as they are in the export folder they should work.

Here is the link to Open Collada.

http://opencollada.org/download.html

Cheers
Mike K

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 10:17 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 8 ]

After a few hours of trying around, i just ran out of any new ideas on getting this to work. Applying UVs to the mesh hasn’t worked out either, preFab still doesn’t like the mesh.

I have attached the original model to this post (.3ds) we received from the client, maybe somebody here will give it a try, find the mistake in it or even successfully load it into AWAY and tell me afterwards how the magic works? Thank for any help on that.

File Attachments
120305_Container.zip  (File Size: 1003KB - Downloads: 187)

mike_kennedy, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 10:25 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 9 ]

Trying it, its a pretty big mesh for real time 3d in a format like flash,
its 120000 polgons….Prefab is taking forever to load it in….

mike_kennedy, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 10:28 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 10 ]

yeah, this model is crap, lots of un-welded faces and missing UV maps.
Guessing its from a CAD export, typical conversion issues really.

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 05 March 2012 10:37 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 11 ]
mike_kennedy - 05 March 2012 10:28 PM

yeah, this model is crap, lots of un-welded faces and missing UV maps.
Guessing its from a CAD export, typical conversion issues really.

Yes Mike, you are right, this one came from ProE. Do you have any ideas on how to get the clients’ engineers export this thing properly out of ProE? Completely lost the clue…

mike_kennedy, Newbie
Posted: 06 March 2012 12:21 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 12 ]

Not much you can do,
I typically rebuilt using their mesh as reference only. Some times I will bring the Pro E file into Rhino so I can control the export, but it will still suck.
If you can’t rebuild it you can try apply a weld modified, remove isolated vetices and making sure you have the uv’s set up properly.
Cheers
Mike

J. Neerhof, Newbie
Posted: 06 March 2012 12:13 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 13 ]

I haven’t read all the comments, but maybe this may be a fast solution:

import away3d.tools.helpers.MeshHelper;

MeshHelper.invertFaces(mesh);

I used this also for some models that had inverted faces when loaded in my Away3d project.

Cheers,
Jochem

Fathah Noor, Newbie
Posted: 22 February 2013 09:58 AM   Total Posts: 11   [ # 14 ]
J. Neerhof - 06 March 2012 12:13 PM

I haven’t read all the comments, but maybe this may be a fast solution:

import away3d.tools.helpers.MeshHelper;

MeshHelper.invertFaces(mesh);

I used this also for some models that had inverted faces when loaded in my Away3d project.

Cheers,
Jochem

Hi, thanks a lot for your comments. We’ve been struggled with this problem, and now it works! smile

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X