Beginner’s problem with setting up Away3D

Software: Away3D 4.x

Karlg, Newbie
Posted: 26 January 2012 08:35 PM   Total Posts: 4

Let me prefix this with the fact that I’m what most people would call a noob on this subject, I have a few months basic knowledge of AS3, and no prior knowledge for Flash Builder or using 3D libraries like this… So let’s start:

I’ve been trying for two days now, to get Away3D up and running with some sample code I’ve found, but to no avail. I managed to get 3.5 work directly with Flash 5.0 and did the spinning planet example, but as far as I can see I need to use Flash builder so that I can embed/import 3D models into my code. So i’ve been trying, to no avail to get this working. I’ve been trying to follow tutorials and videos, but still haven’t found any solution, though I’m sorry if my problem is painfully obvious >.<

So here’s what I’ve done:

- I downloaded the flex 4.5.1A SDK and set FB to use that

- I have also downloaded Flash player 11 (debug version…?) and set the project to use that as a compiler

- Then I copy/pasted the com and Away3D folder from the latest version into the src folder of the project

- Finally I downloaded the examples from github, put the libs and embeds into the project folder, and the src contents into the src folder.

- I added the libs folder as a Library path in properties.

Now, that seems to be all the steps I’ve found as necessary to run some test files, I set the DragTest.as as “default application” and hit Debug.
What happens then is that I briefly go to a white window in Firefox (which promptly crashes the flash player) and I get sent back to FB which says

“This kind of launch is configured to open the Flash Debug perspective when it suspends. This is the debugging perspective for Flash Builder. Do you want to open this perspective now?”

and then in the console window it says:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class flash.display3D.textures::Texture could not be found.
[SWF] C:\Users\Kgg\Adobe Flash Builder 4\Away3D\bin-debug\DragTest.swf - 368,670 bytes after decompression

And a few things in the debug window.

Does anyone have a clue what I’ve done wrong so far? I really need this to work for a project I’m working on in school, and would love to hear what you guys have to say. Again, sorry if the answer is painfully obvious, I’m new to this, be gentle…!

Karlg, Newbie
Posted: 29 January 2012 01:22 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 1 ]

Bumping just to see if I get lucky, don’t worry, I won’t make a habit out of it, but I’m a tiny bit desperate… Help?

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 January 2012 02:28 PM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 2 ]

Shouldn’t there be a “swf-version=13” in the compiler options somewhere ?

Sorry can’t help with FB as I’m using FlashDevelop, just in case here is a page that explains setting up stuff with FlashDevelop :
http://www.mclelun.com/blog/2011/08/flashdevelop-stage3d-away3d/

It’s kinda old so playerglobal.swc should be downloaded from here : http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

and away3D lib and examples should be downloaded from github.

Karlg, Newbie
Posted: 30 January 2012 02:33 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 3 ]

Thank you so much, I’ll look into using FlashDevelop. Right now I’ve reverted to 3.6 as that worked without a hassle with Flash, but after I’ve done this project it would be cool to see what I could do with 4.0 instead, so thank you smile

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 January 2012 02:46 PM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 4 ]

No problem, linking to other threads doesn’t work (considered as spam) and I don’t have the time to look right now anyway but you might want to click on my profile and then click “View all posts by this member” as I participated in quite a few threads like this that could provide some info to you wink

... could be easier than searching the forum, although that would work too.

Karlg, Newbie
Posted: 30 January 2012 03:08 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 5 ]

Yeah, I probably should have done a more thorough job of searching the forum I’d been searching the internet for a while so I was in the “giving up mood”, sorry about that, but thank you anyway

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X