3.6 Books and Version 4

Software: Away3D 3.x

loach, Newbie
Posted: 11 January 2012 08:46 AM   Total Posts: 1

I am wanting to learn Away 3d. I have my eyes on the two books by PacktPub that cover 3.6. I was wanting to know if version 4 would be so different that it would make the information in these books obsolete?

Should I go ahead and buy these books or wait for a v4.0 update?

Thanks

LordHoly, Newbie
Posted: 17 January 2012 06:04 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 1 ]

Hello,

I want to know the same. The API references of 3.6 and 4.x looks really different.
Shall I wait until new books are out?

Whats the deal with making a new version of a framework which uses new classes and functions, so we have to learn a new framework? :(

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 18 January 2012 11:16 AM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 2 ]

Hi, I never worked with Away3D prior to version 4 but from what I read it’s been kept similar/same when possible. It shouldn’t be a whole different world if you come from a prior version although there are also important changes.

I don’t think buying a 3.6 book in order to learn 4.x is a good idea though, until a 4.x book comes out you’re probably better off using the documentation and examples (and blogs/articles/etc) to learn.

The most current documentation is this one I think : away3d[dot]com/livedocs/away3d-core-fp11/

Whats the deal with making a new version of a framework which uses new classes and functions, so we have to learn a new framework? :(

They didn’t change everything for fun mind you… writing a 100% software 3D engine (versions before 4.x) and putting one on top of Stage3D/Molehill (version 4.x) with hardware acceleration and all is much different. They tried to keep it the same where possible though.

Most people seem to find Away3D 4.x pretty easy to grasp once you’re set up.

PS : Hey moderators and/or admins, it’s really a pain to have the forum engine refusing posts with URLs pointing to away3d[dot]com could you please do something about that ? We can’t post a link to documentation or other posts, it’s really bad and I doubt it prevents much spam, if any at all.

LordHoly, Newbie
Posted: 19 January 2012 09:30 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 3 ]

Ah, ok. I understand what you mean.
So I hope there won’t be such large differences in future updates, for example from 4.0 to 5.0 or
4.0 to 6.0.

I hope the books released by Packet Publisher will be updated to 4,0.
Good documentation is important, but I learn better with books.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X