Best way to create this type of geodesic sphere

Software: Away3D 3.x

wesleysnipes, Newbie
Posted: 20 October 2011 05:45 PM   Total Posts: 20

Hi,

I need to create this exact type of geo dome:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Géode_V_3_1_duale.gif

And on each face I would add an image. Possibly interactive but may not be. I see that I can create a geo in away3d, but I’m not sure how to apply a hexagon material correctly when there are fractures running through the hex.

Any recommendations would be super helpful. I’m really stuck at this point. I’m even thinking to create custom planes and generate the geo manually inside an object container, but I’m not sure what that math would be like.

The other option I thought of would be to place a plane with the hex material on the points of the dome, but what is the best way to calculate rotation towards the center?

Thanks!

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 05:35 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 1 ]

Why not build it in blender3d or similar 3d program and import model to away3d.

wesleysnipes, Newbie
Posted: 21 October 2011 07:06 AM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 2 ]

Hi,

Well the real issue is getting the images on the faces. Each hex will have an image on it. The image will need to fill the hex fully.

Even if I get a model imported, won’t they still always come down to triangles? How do I texture across triangles? I was hoping there was a snippet to generate the geo manually. Thinking that might be the best way. Create a plane primitive and apply a moviematerial that is already masked and ready to go as a hex shape. Plot them in an empty container to form the geo sphere…

I kind of blank on the math for the geo though.

wesleysnipes, Newbie
Posted: 21 October 2011 07:07 AM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 3 ]

Just one note on this, the images will be loaded in dynamically, that’s why I can’t prepare the texture.

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 07:22 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 4 ]

uvmap images to groups of triangles. you can still load in materials dynamically and assign regions textures. Although you may have to separate region into its own object so you can isolate mesh you want. At least in theory.

wesleysnipes, Newbie
Posted: 21 October 2011 05:53 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 5 ]

Thanks so much this looks great!

Could you possible point me in the right direction for the dynamic part? If I create this model in blender, can I create groups through blender that will be retained when imported to Away3d? How would I target each Hex?

If possible could you also explain the process of applying texture to each hex/group of triangles?

Thanks so much again for the info!

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 06:44 PM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 6 ]

What experience do you have with 3d software. I have just a little. But in blender3d you would go into edit mode after creating isosphere from add menuon top. Then you selected face selection setting on middle menu bar and shift select each region you want to separate into its own object. Then hit p on keyboard and separate by selection. The last thing you would have to do is uwnrap uv for each of these objects. Then keep note of the name of each object. These names are important when applying material dynamically in away3d.
to access each mesh/object in away3d after loading model you use this code.

private function onAssetComplete(event:AssetEvent):void
  {
spherePart1 
Mesh(AssetLibrary.getAsset('spherePartA'));

spherePart1.material =  new BitmapMaterial((new modelTexture()).bitmapData);

Please note I have not tested any of this. It is Just how I think it would work.
Not sure 100%. You may have to modify allot to get it to work. Hope this helps a little.

wesleysnipes, Newbie
Posted: 21 October 2011 06:57 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 7 ]

Thanks so much this is excellent!

Will dig into to it more.

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 08:31 PM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 8 ]

Hey was bored and tested it out. Code does work. Just make sure in blenter object name and mesh name are the same or it will not work right.

vladivez, Newbie
Posted: 20 January 2012 03:08 AM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 9 ]

Hi.

I’m having a similar problem:
I want to apply a different WireColorMaterial in each face(triangle) of a collada. I used SketchUp to create the model (dae). I’m using 3.60 version.

may someone help me?

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 January 2012 04:39 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 10 ]

Could not tell you how to do it in shetchup. In blender 3d you add a icosphere to stage then add a bevel modifier to that sphere. It makes a pretty good geodesic sphere. From there you can separate each quadrant out into its own object. Blender will auto name sperated quadrant (Icosphere.001) and so on remove the (.) or away3d will not be able to access mesh by name.

export scene as 3ds or wavefront object and import into flash. Apply texture to each separated quadrant.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X