Embed fonts with Flash IDE instead of Flex

Software: Away3D 3.x

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 12:13 PM   Total Posts: 10

since I cannot use Flex specific script like
[Embed(mimeType=“application/x-font”, source=“Vera.ttf”,
fontName=“Vera Sans”)]

how can I embed Font in Flash AS3 with Away3D 3x ???

thanks for help

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 18 July 2012 01:07 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

Why can you not use the embed tag? If you have (I think) CS4 or later you can use Flex embed tags in Flash Pro as well.

Otherwise you should be able to just put the font in the library.

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 06:26 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 2 ]

thanks.
but how can I set the path for the correct Flex SDK?

Posted: 18 July 2012 06:28 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

Just download the SDK, which is open-source and freely available, and point Flash Pro to that, wherever you may have placed it on your disk.

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 05:48 AM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 4 ]

Sorry. But I don’t think I can use the Embed tag for Flash. It doen’t work.

Can anyone show me how to use TextField3D in Flash (NOT Flex)?
Do I need to embed fonts in order to use TextField3D?

Thanks in advance

Posted: 19 July 2012 08:16 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

You should be able to use the embed tag if you have CS4 or later. But if you don’t want to sort that out, you should also be able to just simply add your font to the Flash library, and enable it for ActionScript linkage (giving it a class name) and end up in essentially the same place as if you were embedding it using the [Embed] meta-data tag.

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 06 August 2012 08:30 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 6 ]

Hi,

Does anyone have a CS4 .fla file to share ? (a basic example, a simple sphere).

I try to use Away3D 4 and I’m not even able to use the .as examples submitted on the tutorials section :

- I write the class name in my .fla file ;
- I added Flex 4-6 sdk and added its source path $(AppConfig)/ActionScript 3.0/libs ;
- I installed the 11.3 flash debug player and I renamed it FlashPlayer.exe…

But no way !! Nothing but a white window… it won’t work, even a single sphere !
Thanks for your help !

Posted: 07 August 2012 08:46 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 7 ]

Provided that your Flash IDE is configured correctly for Flash Player 11, you should have no problems compiling and running the examples in the away3d-examples-fp11 repository. Are you sure you are able to compile correctly? Do the generated SWF file really open in FlashPlayer.exe (version 11 or later) or do they open in the built-in preview player that comes with Flash Pro, and which is likely not recent enough if you’re using CS4?

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 07 August 2012 10:35 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 8 ]

Thanks Richard for your answer.
I think it opens in flashPlayer.exe v 11.3 (see the snapshot)
Sorry to be so dull…

Posted: 07 August 2012 10:59 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 9 ]

Please always do run the debug player though. Otherwise you have no way of knowing if something goes wrong (and an error is thrown.)

You can download the debug player here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 07 August 2012 11:59 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 10 ]

Done. No error, but still a white window.
Perhaps you could give me another tip : with away3D 3.x I used MovieMaterial to display shapes on a globe ; is it still possible with away3D 4 ? (I’d like to display water stocks on the earth)
Thanks !

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 08 August 2012 06:16 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 11 ]

Hello,
My Flash CS4 settings now display the good version of flash player thanks to http://blogs.adobe.com/rgalvan/2011/11/adding-fp11-support-to-flash-pro-cs5-and-cs5-5.html
But I still have a white window and a bunch of errors apparently located in RTTBufferManager.as (away3d class) - see the snapshot.
Would you have an explanation ? Does someone has a zip folder containing away3D plus a flash CS4 .fla simple example ?
Thanks a lot !

Posted: 08 August 2012 07:50 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 12 ]

Start a separate thread for your question about MovieMaterial, and explain what you want to achieve there.

The RTTBufferManager should not contain any errors as far as I can tell. Are you sure you didn’t accidentally edit it (or any other Away3D class)? Please download the latest version from http://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/zipball/master and try to replace the Away3D distribution you have on your machine now with that one.

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 08 August 2012 08:29 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 13 ]

Thanks for your patience Richard.
I see you already answered my second question :
http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/2813/
... no more movieClip material in Away3D4.
Concerning away3D version, it’s the last one, I didn’t edit any Away3D files and it works fine with FlashDevelop ; but I can’t manage to run a single example in flash IDE CS4. There is something I do the wrong way, but I can’t find what. I think other persons will have the same problem (the one who are not accustomed to FlashDevelop or who can’t buy Flash CS6 or Flash Builder).

Posted: 08 August 2012 10:29 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 14 ]

There is no MovieMaterial, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use a MovieClip (non-animated, non-interactive) as a texture.

I’m not sure I can help you with Flash CS4. It’s four years old, and three versions behind the current one, and wasn’t built to support Flash Player 11 development. Are you able to run any other Stage3D content? Are you using the example classes as the document class of your FLA? Have you tried clicking the little pencil next to the document class name to edit the file, to make sure that it actually links to the correct file (which should then open in the code editor)?

menfin, Newbie
Posted: 08 August 2012 06:04 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 15 ]

You are right, CS4 is certainly a bit to old… I’ll try to do it with FlashDevelop.
Thanks again for your answers, and congratulations for this great project !

‹‹ Maya AWD win7

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X