Skybox6 textures don’t align

Software: Away3D 3.x

piggy_smalls, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 03:46 PM   Total Posts: 4

Thanks for the great software fellas. Just started getting my feet wet today and loving it.

In all of the Skybox examples I’ve seen and those i’ve put together the textures don’t quite align, there is some shearing which breaks the realism for users.

Can someone give me an “in” to configurations that effect the caemras relationship to and effective distortion of the cube face textures so this error can be corrected.

Many Thanks
piggy

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 19 July 2012 04:31 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. I have never noticed any seams. Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you’re seeing?

piggy_smalls, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 04:51 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated. I’ve attached two examples. The first is a a snapshot of the pano provided in the primitives 2 tute on flashmagazine in your tutorials section. It is a forgiving image because of all of the sky but in the red area you can see the shearing.

Our CGI team also exported another pano image which i’ve included in example 2. In the other technologies we use to display panos these are fine so I know the images are ok. Wherever I find a skybox example online, if you look carefully you’ll find shearing. I’ve no doubt there’s a camera or UV config somewhere that can rectify this but as yet I’m at a loss.

Kind Regards
Andy

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 19 July 2012 04:58 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

Oh, I didn’t realize until now that you were talking about Away3D 3.x. My mistake for not looking at the version tag!

The problem with Flash Player 10 “fake 3D” (on which 3.6 is based) is that perspective correction is not entirely accurate. You may actually be out of luck in this case. Please try with Away3D 4.0 in Flash player 11, which should right now have a 70% penetration rate, if that is acceptable to you.

piggy_smalls, Newbie
Posted: 20 July 2012 10:05 AM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 4 ]

Thanks Richard. I’ve downloaded A3D4 and got a Skybox setup but the same problem occurs (example attached). Is there a config for perspective correction?

Best
A

Abracad, Newbie
Posted: 24 July 2012 05:42 PM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 5 ]

have you tried with another engine?
From what i see and the fact that you already tried with with away 3.x and 4 i would say that it’s in your render.
Depending on witch software you use, if your’s needs 6 cameras to produce the 6 faces, one of it is probably not at the very same place or with very same settings (fov) as the others.
For the one that was done from real shoots the question can be asked too :
Which soft has been used to produce the 6 faces? Does it comes from an equirectangular(? not sure in english) shoot that has been converted to 6 pictures.

piggy_smalls, Newbie
Posted: 25 July 2012 08:19 AM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 6 ]

We use the same 3DS Max render settings across all of our pano images and they work consistently in all other technologies as exported from Pano2VR and also in other third party tools and players. I can say with absolute certainty that it’s not the renders but thank you for your input.

Best
A

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X