shadeless material and smooth geometry

Software: Away3D 4.x

oladitan, Member
Posted: 24 July 2012 04:16 AM   Total Posts: 71

hello I was wondering how to give my character a texture that does not have lighting effects and just renders the texture without shadow.

I was also wondering how to smooth the interpolation between the polygon verticies to achive a phong or “smooth” shading.

I am using a texture material for my model. I tried to use material.smooth = true; but this did not work. the model is an md5 mesh with animation.  thank you.

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 24 July 2012 05:32 AM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 1 ]

To have a shadeless mesh, I think you can simply not assign any lights to it.

To smooth faces:

Explode.apply(mesh);
Weld.apply(mesh);

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 24 July 2012 07:58 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 2 ]

Everything that Baush says is correct, although you shouldn’t have to explode the mesh before you weld it. Welding it straight away should be enough.

The smooth property that you have tried on the material has nothing to do with how the geometry is shaded, but only whether texture sampling is interpolated or not, i.e. whether textures are “smoothed” when they are too low-res for the surface they should be mapped onto.

oladitan, Member
Posted: 24 July 2012 01:16 PM   Total Posts: 71   [ # 3 ]

hello. thank you for the responses. I have disabled lights for my models materials and that removed shading. However using “Weld.apply(mesh); has distorted my model as well as smoothed the faces. using “Explode.apply(mesh);” gives me an error:

exceptioninformation=RangeErrorError #1125: The index 12936 is out of range 12936. 

thanks.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 24 July 2012 01:17 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 4 ]

In what way was it distorted?

oladitan, Member
Posted: 24 July 2012 03:27 PM   Total Posts: 71   [ # 5 ]

the faces intersect each other and the model does not represent the original anymore.

when I play animation this distortion is less severe. thanks.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X