Drawing Problem HELP

Software: Away3D 3.x

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 21 July 2012 01:28 AM   Total Posts: 10

please refer to this:

http://www.molaytau.ias3.com/test/test02.html

when I move the camera around the fish seems to be “broken”. Is this a screen drawing problem?
How do I fix it thanks.

The as files is here:

http://www.molaytau.ias3.com/test/test02_class.txt

please help….

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 21 July 2012 12:41 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

Do you really even need these objects to be vector objects? Wouldn’t it work fine to just draw them to a BitmapData and use as a texture for a plane?

The vector rendering capabilities of Away3D 3.x are very limited by the platform, and although they will work very well in some cases, in other cases they simply don’t work that well. If you don’t have to use them (i.e. if you don’t have to be able to scale infinitely), it’s definitely better to stick to regular triangle rendering.

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 21 July 2012 01:27 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 2 ]

but vector objects look much sharper and crisp with smaller file sizes compare with bitmaps.

so it is the Away3D 3x vector rendering problem.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 21 July 2012 01:36 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

What I’m suggesting is that you draw the artwork to a BitmapData at runtime. That way file size will not be affected, and you can easily draw a very high-res bitmap (e.g. 2048x2048) so that it will remain crisp even when you zoom in a little. But you’re right, vector graphics will always have a certain crisp to them that is hard to simulate when scaling bitmaps and therefor interpolating between pixels.

It’s important to understand that Flash Player 10 (and earlier) has absolutely no support for proper 3D. The fact that Away3D manages to pull off vector-based 3D drawing is a bit of a wonder in itself, and when it’s not working ideally, that’s not because a bug but simply because it’s impossible. Pushing the limits can sometimes come off as really cool, and sometimes it can be greeted with an unimpressed “but why isn’t it working perfectly?” The reality is that it shouldn’t work at all, and knowing this, it is important to limit one’s use case to that which is possible, limits pushed or not.

So, my advice to you, if you cannot get it to work using ownCanvas, is to draw your artwork to a BitmapData at runtime using BitmapData.draw(). There simply is no other way to achieve this using the Flash platform, with Away3D or without.

Sueki, Newbie
Posted: 22 July 2012 01:20 AM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 4 ]

Thanks Richard for the explanation. I tried ownCanvas and it looks a bit better. Thanks.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X