MovieClip as Material Away4

Software: Away3D 4.x

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 17 July 2012 08:18 AM   Total Posts: 99

Hey guys, is there any solution to use a movieclip for a material in away4 at the moment?

thank you very much.

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 17 July 2012 08:21 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 1 ]

forgot to mention that interactivity is important ^^

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 17 July 2012 09:55 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 2 ]

No, there isn’t. And it’s generally not a good idea in Stage3D to try to make a material update every frame, which is one of the biggest areas of use for MovieMaterial. The technology simply doesn’t allow for updating a texture so frequently without seriously damaging performance.

If you don’t care about the visuals updating when you interact with the MovieClip (through the surface of the 3D object) then I guess you could still find a valid use case for such a material/texture type. Until it’s added to the engine you can implement it yourself by listening for 3D mouse events, finding the UV coordinates (through the MouseEvent object) and figuring out where on your MovieClip the hit was.

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 17 July 2012 11:16 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 3 ]

hey, thank you for your reply ...
the performance thing would not be my problem i think because for the time when i need the movieclip material, i dont need the onenterframe rendering of the 3d content, because the view is fixed for this time you know?
but in the movieclip i have to fill out textfields etc .... so your solution would not work for me right?
is there any other solution?

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 17 July 2012 11:17 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 4 ]

If you need to fill out text fields et c you definitely would need to redraw the material continuously, which is not a good idea for performance reasons as explained above.

I would recommend that you try to use a regular Flash display object on top of your 3D scene to present the form to the user.

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 17 July 2012 11:42 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 5 ]

okay thank you very much ... i try to fix the view and fade in the 2d displayobject with minimum notice ^^

thanks

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X