Away3d With Android

Software: Away3D 4.x

FeffersHat, Newbie
Posted: 15 July 2012 05:15 PM   Total Posts: 21

I’m attempting to use away3d with Air 3.1 and putting it on the Android. For some reason, when compiling, it doesn’t work. The actual swf runs but the run.bat (which is the same as it will be on the android) doesn’t display anything 3d. My application xml has render mode set to direct, ect, so I don’t think that’s the problem.
I know it’s possible because I’ve seen videos on it, but just how did they do it?

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 15 July 2012 07:34 PM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 1 ]

I might be mistaken but I’m pretty sure you need Air 3.2+ for anything using stage3D.

Even with Air 3.2 I saw an android device where it wouldn’t work at all, that was with Starling but stage3D was totally unavailable so that would be the same with Away3D.

From what I read on the Starling forum, there are a few Android devices where stage3D won’t work. Maybe 3.3 helps, didn’t test again.

FeffersHat, Newbie
Posted: 16 July 2012 05:22 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 2 ]

I tried using Air 3.2 too and it didn’t work either. Well, if a lot of devices won’t work with stage3D I guess I’ll have to wait otherwise no one will buy the app. Thanks for the information though. (:

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 16 July 2012 08:20 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

for the sake of test, can you try install and run this one. http://www.closier.nl/RoomDemoMobileCR.apk

This is 3.2

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 July 2012 09:36 AM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 4 ]

Hey I never said it wouldn’t work on “a lot of devices” wink

Just said that I saw one that didn’t, probably because the graphic chipset wasn’t supported by Stage3D at that time. This could have changed since then, as there are more supported chipsets now (not sure if that’s already part of 3.3 or if it’ll come with 3.4). On the Starling forum, another user reported one device not working at all : that makes 2, out of hundreds. Not so bad.

That said there are plenty of reasons why it wouldn’t work, and almost all of them are on your side : there are plenty of subjects about exporting to Air, check them out.

Make sure rendermode is direct, make sure Air is really set to 3.2 in the app’s XML, make sure DepthAndStencil is set to true… etc
Also debugging on Android is pretty easy using flashDevelop if you need.

jdeluca, Newbie
Posted: 16 July 2012 01:32 PM   Total Posts: 28   [ # 5 ]

I had to update to Air 3.2 to get it to work. It actually updated to Air 3.3. My test projects run great once I updated.

FeffersHat, Newbie
Posted: 20 July 2012 11:26 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 6 ]

Sorry for the long reply, forgot about this thread ;_;
Anyways, I just got my new android today and tried out your app, Fabrice. It’s really nice! Dunno why, but my android runs apps really slowly, it’s an old phone. But suprisingly, it ran away3d smoothly when it was panning around. There was a big delay on dragging the screen, but at least it panned smoothly when I wasn’t dragging. :D

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X