Change texture for some sphere polygons

Software: Away3D 4.x

franto, Newbie
Posted: 29 June 2012 02:03 PM   Total Posts: 2

Hi all,

this is noob question. I’m using Away3D just one day, but I was quite impressed with easines of Away3D development:) Thank you for you hard work.

What I’m trying to achieve (in 4.0.0 build) is create 3D Earth with custom maps. Basic example I have already. There were no problem at all. I have used sphere with 2048 x 2048 BitmapTexture. But when Earth is zoomed texture is pixelated too much and I need to change texture somehow for current view. So I need to find out which polygons are visible and change texture for that polygons (rectangle).

Is this doable in Away3D 4.0.0 ?  If not, can you recommend some other workaround? I don’t need complete examples, just need to get direction smile)

Thank you very much
Franto

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 30 June 2012 09:41 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

You can’t control materials on a per-face level, but what you could do is create an arced plane that matches a portion of the surface of the earth, and that you put between the camera and the earth at all times (facing the camera.) Hide it by default, but when you zoom in, show it again with a high-res version of the area that’s being zoomed in.

If you need this to be dynamic (i.e. any area is zoomable) you will need to do some basic trigonometry to figure out which part of the high-res texture to show. If you’re only ever zooming into a single or small number of locations then you can just prepare those textures (and plane positions) beforehand.

franto, Newbie
Posted: 03 July 2012 08:28 AM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 2 ]

Thank you Richard,

I’ve expected something like that, just wanted to be sure, that there is not something “prepared” for me smile

Thank again

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X