MD5Mesh and animation is constructed on a different axis then the model package

Software: Away3D 4.x

paullaster, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2012 11:33 PM   Total Posts: 20

I am finding that the models parsed with the MD5mesh parser are mirrored.  We just created a Maya 2012 MD5 mesh and animation exporter.  ( Which we hope to open source as soon as this is done ).  We tested our exported MD5 models in four different 3d model viewers and in every viewer the model was correct.  But inside Away3d it is mirrored.  Is there a way to toggle or assign the axis of orientation to the model and how it is constructed?

Thank you.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 22 June 2012 08:50 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 1 ]

Maya coordinate system as a Doom3 engine system is Z forward Y top X left.
And in away3d X is Right if we take as forward Z axis. So it’s mirrored.

I think you need switch Y and Z axis in maya then export and in away3d rotate X to make your model stand vertical.

paullaster, Newbie
Posted: 26 June 2012 10:21 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for the response.  So we tried to change the object coordinate system in Maya and the Mesh geometry is still inverted and the model just changes what axis it faces on creation. 

We have tested several models from several exporters and importers.  Away3d is the only one that has this problem.  The Hellknight model that is in the demo is even incorrect when in Away3d. The model is perfectly symmetrical so its hard to tell without tweaking the geometry.

The negative scale width isn’t a great solution when using lights because the Normal Maps and the such would have to be flipped too in order for it to render correctly.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X