What is partitions in Away3d and how PartitionTraverser works.

Software: Away3D 4.x

Deril, Newbie
Posted: 24 June 2012 09:33 AM   Total Posts: 8

Hello,

I am trying to read API reference and understand haw Away3d renders stuff.

I am trying to understand scene partitions, EntityCollector, PartitionTraverser and ShadowCasterCollector…

I am guessing….
  EntityCollector collects all entities that are potentialy visible.. (not blocked by other objects, in view bounds, not too far, not too close.)
ShadowCasterCollector does its magic with shadows… somehow somethere..
  Then .... away3d divides screen in quad manner ??? (does it on the fly acording needs..?) how this partitioning happens? What element does it…PartitionTraverser?..

as a result of this process… collection of triangles is send to Stage3d to be rendered.

this is my vague understanding of rendering process…

Can anyone please explain me rendering process and partitioning i details?

I will add this knowledge to Away3d lesson, and in API documentation.

Thanks for time.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 24 June 2012 01:56 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

The entity collector traverses the scene graph to collect renderables, and sorts them. It does not perform any occlusion culling, but the render pipeline does perform frustum culling.

The ShadowCasterCollector does roughly the same thing, but only collects shadow-casting objects. Shadow rendering is generally performed by rendering the scene from the point of view of the light source (as if the light was a camera) and that’s why there needs to be an entity collector for shadow-casting objects. It’s used in the internal render pass that is used to render shadows.

The partitioning system is generally not used, but can allow you to, for example partition your scene according to a quad tree or BSP tree. Unless you’re explicitly doing this, the engine uses no partitioning.

How deep is your understanding of GPU graphics in general? Do you have any experience with, for example, OpenGL? It’s hard to explain without knowing the level of pre-existing knowledge.

Deril, Newbie
Posted: 24 June 2012 06:29 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 2 ]

I have very basic understanding about GPU graphics in general…

I understand why its hard to explain… sorry about that.. :(

Can you point me to good(relevant and not too bloated ) source to learn about that stuff?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X