Is Away3D the right solution for my project?

Software: Away3D 4.x

rin0817, Newbie
Posted: 20 June 2012 06:37 PM   Total Posts: 4

Hi all,

I’m trying to create a 3D dynamic environment in Flash that contains various objects. Basically the program will take as an input a 3d-matrix containing the coordinates of the objects. As the co-ordinates of objects changes, the object should move in 3D.

I’m attracted by the amount of resources available for Away3D. My question is, is Away3D the right solution for this? Also, the objects I plan to display can be wireframe objects (I do not plan on adding textures, as this is a proof of concept to show off the main component of my project). Does Away3D have built in primitive objects, or do I have to create them in modelling programs like 3ds Max.

I appreciate your help and any suggestions you might have (sorry I’m a newbie with 3D!)

Thanks!
- rin

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 20 June 2012 06:48 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

Away3D has built-in primitive geometry and means of drawing wireframe (although if you’re not particularly after the wireframe look, I would suggest using color materials which may simply perform better.)

All scene graph objects have a transform matrix property that you can set explicitly if you don’t prefer to use the often more convenient individual properties (e.g. x, y, z, scaleX, rotationX et c.)

rin0817, Newbie
Posted: 20 June 2012 06:53 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for the suggestions RIchard. This is exactly what I’m looking for.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 20 June 2012 07:00 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

Note though that it might not be enough to simply update the matrix contents, but that you need to reset the matrix to the objects every frame (for them to be marked as dirty and updated internally.)

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X