MD5 Joint Distortion Issue

Software: Away3D 4.x

camelhouse, Newbie
Posted: 14 June 2012 10:21 PM   Total Posts: 2

I have an animated character that is doing some weird things – I’m hoping someone can take a look at for me. The MD5 file looks fine when viewed with the MD5 model viewer but within Away3D some of the joints get really distorted.

My pipeline is currently Cinema4D > export FBX > import to 3dsmax > export as MD5, so that might be part of the problem.

I attached a zip containing the md5mesh, md5anim, and .max file. I’m not too familiar with max, but the animated model looks fine in it. Could it have something to do with the skeleton hierarchy, root bone, or coordinates?

For some reason the md5mesh is crumpled into a heap without the md5anim being applied as well, perhaps that’s part of the problem.

Any help would be great, thanks.

File Attachments
run_files.zip  (File Size: 431KB - Downloads: 141)

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 15 June 2012 06:48 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 1 ]

You can use also awd2 for your needs. There are fantastic exporter for max.

cwoandrew, Newbie
Posted: 15 June 2012 07:16 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 2 ]

I have a question, for MD5, can separate animation and mesh. Can I separate animation clips in awd2 also ?

can I use 2 models with similar skeleton and using same animation file?

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 15 June 2012 01:01 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 3 ]

so use md5 with maya and doom3 smile awesome models.

camelhouse, Newbie
Posted: 16 June 2012 12:10 AM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 4 ]

I tried out the AWD exporter, which seems to be working great, except that no animations are being exported. Is there anything specific you have to setup in max for it to work?

The FBX importer was initially converting the bones to something the AWD exporter wasn’t recognizing, but once I changed that the exported file contained the mesh and skeleton, just no animations.

Any thoughts?

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 16 June 2012 11:08 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

To include animation sequences, the exporter must know how long they are and what they should be named. To define this, you must create a sequences.txt file and place it in a location where the exporter can find it (which by default is the same folder that you’re exporting the AWD file to.) You can override both the name and the location in the animation settings in the export dialog though, if you want to.

Here are instructions for how to create and use sequences.txt files:
https://code.google.com/p/awd/wiki/UsingSequencesTxtFiles

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X