MD2 (Vertex) vs MD5 (Bones) performance

Software: Away3D 4.x

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 11 April 2012 05:32 PM   Total Posts: 135

Hello, I’ve been wondering if the vertex animation has a better performance than bone animation for the same mesh?

I have a scene with many animated characters and before I do the switch, I was wondering if someone already had already tested this out.

Thanks

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 26 April 2012 06:29 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 1 ]

From my tests, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in performance. I had 100 animated bones/vertex characters (with shared geometry) and they were handling it fine.

Alex Bogartz, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 April 2012 12:04 AM   Total Posts: 216   [ # 2 ]

I was encountering a serious slow down when I tried to make the models do different animations off the same skeleton (using MD5).  If they shared the same animation object, they all acted in unison.  Once I cloned the skeleton animation, the performance slowed to a crawl with more than around 5 characters.  Can you post your code relating to the skeleton?  Are you cloning the animation or just making them all act off the same one?

Thanks!

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 April 2012 01:03 AM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 3 ]

Hello Alex, I was also sharing a single meshInstance.animationState with all of my instances. Cloning the animation will multiply the GPU/CPU calculations for bone transforms and also resulted in slow performance.

This is why I was trying to see if vertex animation were more performant with different mesh/animations.

I’ll let you know my results once I’m done.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X