DirectX9 on Win vs OpenGL OSX on Mac

Software: Away3D 4.x

Gordon, Newbie
Posted: 20 March 2012 07:18 PM   Total Posts: 17

Hi Guys,

while playing around today with an AWAY3D application, i figured out that OpenGL on Mac looses big time vs. DirectX9.

I first started the application on a Mac/OSX-platform and performance was worse with lots of framedrops and stuttering when rotating an object in 3D space.

After that, on the same machine, i switched to WIn7 via bootcamp and started the app from there. In the Win7-DX9-Environtment, everything plays smooth and i got 30fps all the time.

Has this something to do with how OpenGL and DX9 are talking to the GPU?
Can somebody explain this to me?

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 March 2012 01:11 AM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 1 ]

I’ve also found the framerate on equivalent macs to be much poorer…

karlperemil, Newbie
Posted: 21 March 2012 01:22 PM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 2 ]

Isn’t this the case for all games on Mac?

bardo, Member
Posted: 21 March 2012 04:22 PM   Total Posts: 79   [ # 3 ]

the only good things of windows are directX ... and cheaper machine.

on a mcbook pro with 8gb of ram (i7) , i dont see the frame rate drop drastically on my actual project, just a couple of frame in average framerate (Away stats)

Have somebody tested Linux OpenGL ? I havent tested it yet ... at office we have only win and mac machines

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:11 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 4 ]
bardo - 21 March 2012 04:22 PM

the only good things of windows are directX ... and cheaper machine…

... and the ability to shut down one of multiple explorer windows without maximising it, and using a standard keyboard layout, and deciding if you want your computer to go to sleep when you shut the lid, and being able to change the horrible ‘copy complete’ sound, and having the menu for the program that is open and not maximised at the top of that program’s window, instead of all the way over up at the top (Which means if you want to do anything involving the finder/os, you’ll have to click on the desktop first), and having an operating system that is consistent in the way it works no matter how you decide to view a folder’s contents, and a pointlessly awkward way of downloading and installing programs and many many other really annoying features I’ve found about OSX since having a mac…

Posted: 21 March 2012 06:13 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 5 ]

... they do look nice though…

(Although pretty soon you’ll wish that the angular edge at the front of the laptop, that makes it look so nice when it is shut was actually curved, as it digs into your wrists, and when your machine starts beachballing due to running out of memory, you’ll start to wish that you could switch offall the lovely graphical effects and use the machine’s resources in a more useful way…)

pallzoltan, Newbie
Posted: 21 March 2012 07:25 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 6 ]

Re topic: i remember testing FP 10 in Ubuntu a couple of years ago and it was very very poor. Since then I’ve used Ubuntu some more and the performance improved with time, but I think Linux and Mac performances are close to eachother.

Posted: 21 March 2012 08:12 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 7 ]

I had a bootable usb stick with ubuntu on, I’ll give it a go…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X