ANTIALIAS & OSX problem

Software: Away3D 4.x

kz, Newbie
Posted: 30 January 2012 03:47 PM   Total Posts: 30

Hi, I work on a pc, today I checked my experiment with a mac, both with safari and chrome: no antialiasing whatsoever.

I have no problem with my pc, is there anything I should check? Have you managed to get antialiasing on a mac? I know there’s another post on this forum but with no answer, plus it is related to the old flash player (incubator).

Thanks in advance

Hector, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:14 PM   Total Posts: 137   [ # 1 ]

Do you get hardware mode enabled? Antialias only works on hardware mode.

kz, Newbie
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:16 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 2 ]

Yes, OPENGL + 60 fps. Do you have managed to get antialias on a mac with fp11?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:30 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

and view.antiAliased = value is set?

kz, Newbie
Posted: 30 January 2012 04:38 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 4 ]

Yes, this is the as code:

/////same thing with a value of 4
view.antiAlias 2

this the html code:

<style type="text/css">
body {
 background
-color#000;margin: 0; padding: 0; 
}
</style>

<
p>

<
object width="100%" height="100%">

<
param name="universo" value="universo.swf">
<
param name="wmode" value="direct"

<
embed src="universo.swf" width="100%" height="100%" wmode="direct">
</
embed>

</
object>

</
p

kz, Newbie
Posted: 31 January 2012 04:18 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 5 ]

Any suggestion? Without this aliasing my project is going really bad, it has to be clear, and I’m a bit scared of going nowhere.

Please, if anyone has a solution to correctly set antialiasing on a osx platform, let me know, I really checked online but I can’t figure it out.

kz, Newbie
Posted: 03 February 2012 11:48 AM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 6 ]

I don’t get it, I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong…

97% of the time I ask something in this forum, I get some generic answer, mostly useless, or I get no answer at all.

So, my question is: am I pissing you off? are there some “rules”?

I really like away3d, but is really hard to get some info, expecially if you are a newbie like me.

I don’t want to be rude, just wanted to point it out.

Ok, now you can flame (:

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 03 February 2012 01:14 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 7 ]

hi, i don’t own a mac (but thinking about getting one), so I can’t say if any will actually work.

First off, try setting the view.antialias to 8 or 16, to make sure you do see a difference.

Make sure you have the wmode=“gpu” or try with wmode=“direct” in the html. Loading the Swf directly will not activate the antialiasing (for some reason)

I usually disable the antialiasing as it’s a bit heavier on the FPS, but I hope you, manage to get it to work!

kz, Newbie
Posted: 03 February 2012 06:22 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 8 ]

Thanks for your reply, I’ll give it a try.

I’m dealing with fps too, fact is that without the antialiasing things are quite ugly, but maybe I’m not considering other approaches.

Have you tried AGAL? Do you know If I can smooth things up with shaders?

Anyway I got some more info, I’ll check them out. Fucking macs (:

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 03 February 2012 06:25 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 9 ]

LOL, I was thinking of getting a Mac for overall design and ease of use. I take it flash development on Macs is complex?

Please share your experience so far, it may or not convince me to hold on to my current box for a while longer wink

As for fullscreen filters to smooth stuff, take a look at the bloom filter, it may help you get a better looking image, but eat up your fps wink

Hector, Sr. Member
Posted: 03 February 2012 07:05 PM   Total Posts: 137   [ # 10 ]

I’m sorry but I’m working in a project and I don’t have so much time or sometimes I don’t have the knowledge to help people, but getting an answer is better than nothing smile

I myself have more than 20 posts opened and I have received answers in 4 or 5 of them, not nice in a tight schedule. If I could get the correct answers it would save me days of extra work and research, but that’s life smile

Your description of the problem is very generic too, so it is normal to receive the typical generic answers at first to discard that you haven’t missed them.

Here goes some other suggestions while the right answer appears:

- First of all, have you tried your demo in a different mac already? If not, some friend could do it for you and take a snapshot or something. I saw a demo in mac two months ago and I would say it had antialias, I don’t have a Mac myself.
- Have you checked the list of unsupported chipsets by adobe?:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/921/cpsid_92103.html
- In many videocards settings you can change antialias or disable it, you need to discard it is not disabled or something like that too.

good luck with it!

kz, Newbie
Posted: 03 February 2012 08:00 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 11 ]

@ Baush: well, I don’t think you’ll ever have problems coding with a mac, I just kinda dislike them because they’re expensive and posh, plus some side softwares aren’t ported for osx..well, you can have both win and osx on a mac, so don’t worry about that…maybe it’s even better to have the possibility to double check.

@ Hector: I don’t think my problem was so “confused”, I think it’s pretty straightforward, plus Fabrice asked me something, I answered and than nothing…dunno, I just feel like “hey, that’s your problem, your question is idiot, etc..”. Fact is that online there’s only this forum dealing with away3d4, so there’s no way to solve things with other approaches. I always check for days before asking helps on forums, and I try not to ask things like “NEWBIE REALLY FIRST TIME INSTALL AWAY3D”.

I don’t know, I feel like away3d is more “genius-oriented”, and I really don’t get the need to show a forum if it’s just oriented to pro users.

Plus, now unity exports SWF, and Lee Brimelow said that minko is also a good 3d engine.

The point is: if people that really needs to be helped are leaved alone, the community could fade out, and that’s sad because away3d is such a great project, an amazing place to learn new things and get into 3d programming, and I think one of the last reason to learn flash.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 04 February 2012 06:28 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 12 ]

@kz The reason you do not get answers from me, is that I did not have 1,2,3 an answer to your problem. I run mac and I have zero issues. Tried reproduce on few other macs, exact same result:no issues. Sure I should have posted to you a “I don’t know why”, but being busy on aw4, Prefab and projects, I appologize: I simply forgot.

We do not provide demos and tutorial atm because we are at alpha state, and if you follow a bit what is happening on git, you would remark that the dev branch is pretty much different than the actual version and that changes ar e made dayly. If we would bring a doc out now, aside the extra load of work, that would not make you wizer as the api is being updated frequently. Once we reach a release state, we will however provide doc and tutorials.

I don’t know, I feel like away3d is more “genius-oriented”. I do answer as much as I can. Did this on the google group and now on this forum for the last past 5 years. If you look at the group, look who’s all-time top poster. and if you would read a few replies, you would also discover that I help noobs and experienced users. So please, just consider that we are a small team and we do not have resources for a good helpdesk.

I can assure you that we are working very hard atm. You will (everyone) get better support once we have an official release.

back to your original mac issue: I have no clue, tested on different imacs and 2009/2011 macs: 10.6 and 10.7. No issues. Indeed you might get answers by looking at Adobe’s unsupported list or may be check your video card settings.

kz, Newbie
Posted: 04 February 2012 07:52 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 13 ]

Ok, I get the point. The only thing that pissed me off was your answer, because I told that the antialiasing worked on my pc, so you should presume I knew how to set the antialias on. It was to me something like “hey, have you connected the monitor to the pc?”

If you have no time, why should you answer like this? I know you’re one of the “mind”, and I love your work, so having an answer like that from you was a pain in the ass. Having no answer would be ok, like it always is.

Well, anyway it’s the last IMac, so it should work, maybe is something not declared in my html, maybe something else, anyway I’m glad to know that it works and that I can go on working on my site, because it’ll work in the future.

empend, Member
Posted: 04 February 2012 08:44 PM   Total Posts: 77   [ # 14 ]

I’ve had similar problems with Alternativa 8.
Which thats why I use Away3D.

Iknow exactly how you feel, Kz.
It’s really annoying that this happens for reasons unknown to the developer.

If this can happen to someone to is smart enough to create a 3D project, how will any random user be able to understand why it’s not working?
They’d just have to accept it’s not working, or constantly complain.

Like Kz is.

The developer wouldn’t be able to help in any way, except for saying “I don’t have this problem. You have to be a genius like me for it to work.”.
Thats horrible for someone starting a big project.

I haven’t had any problems like that with Away3D yet, besides the ( well known? ) bugs that involve bloom/shadows/parsers.

You can’t get mad about it, because someones doing it for you.
If you have flash you’re able to make your own 3D engine yourself.

Although, we can always talk about how great we wish Away3D could be. raspberry

just my neutral opinion.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X