Rotating and Pivot points for object 3d

Software: Away3D 3.x

biscuitcleaver, Newbie
Posted: 12 January 2012 04:33 AM   Total Posts: 6

I have a pretty complex model brought in by the loader3d class, and need to rotate a piece of it on click (it’s a rudder of a submarine). The issue is, when I brought in the model, the pivot I set in maya did not carry over and basically rotates the rudder around the center of the model.

Whenever I change my pivot point, the mesh falls out of place - so I figured I’d put it in a Object 3d container. Is this the best practice? I guess, what’s the best way to ensure my pivot points are set correctly? I’ve been using prefab, but I’m not seeing how to change this or not.

I’m having real trouble knowing exactly where the pivot point is, since I can’t really see it.

Thanks!

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 12 January 2012 09:39 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

if your flow was maya—>prefab—> away. Prefab recenters by default loaded models. Open prefs and set to recenter on load option to false.

biscuitcleaver, Newbie
Posted: 12 January 2012 01:37 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 2 ]

I was actually using prefab as a way to debug the model quickly. Now that I have turned off ‘center on import’ I am matching the way my away3d environment is rotating, but I almost want a rotation on the local coordinates rather than the global. Is that possible?

By the way, Prefab is an amazing tool. It’s mind blowing what you’ve been doing with this.

biscuitcleaver, Newbie
Posted: 12 January 2012 01:40 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 3 ]

I see the issue now. It doesn’t seem my pivot points were carried over from Maya. Is there an export that will include those?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 12 January 2012 04:35 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 4 ]

By the way, Prefab is an amazing tool. It’s mind blowing what you’ve been doing with this. —> thx smile

but I almost want a rotation on the local coordinates rather than the global. Is that possible? —> not in Prefab, but you could do this by code in Away.

I do not know Maya…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X