iPad templates?

Software: Away3D 3.x

Delfeld, Newbie
Posted: 07 December 2011 03:55 PM   Total Posts: 16

Are there any (free) templates available for setting up a very basic
Away iPad app?  I am mostly looking for a 2D/3D template, or a
tutorial, that will eventually allow me to add 3D models, edit 2D
text, and be able to interact with the environment on an app.  The goal is to avoid working on code, and focus on the interaction and design.

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 07 December 2011 06:53 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 1 ]

You may want to install FlashDevelop, it comes with mobile Air project templates that I think targets the IPhone, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Then use the code from a demo and replace some of the assets with something you created from a 3d modelling tool.

I have never tried targetting iphone/ipad but I would love to hear if anyone managed to get something running on it and what was their impressions.

Delfeld, Newbie
Posted: 07 December 2011 07:16 PM   Total Posts: 16   [ # 2 ]

Thank you for the reply, Baush.

I already have FlashDevelop.  The IDE is not what I am looking for . . . rather, I would like a pre-built framework for an app game (though this is not for a game, that’s the basic idea). 

Note that I am not interested in iPhone, but only iPad. 

What demo are you suggesting I use to make an iPad app?

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 07 December 2011 07:21 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 3 ]

So in other words, you’re looking for a working ipad air project source code using away3d.

I’m sorry I can’t help you here.. unless someone has exactly that, you will have to get your hands in coding to get the pieces together.

Let us know if you manage to test it out!

Delfeld, Newbie
Posted: 07 December 2011 07:44 PM   Total Posts: 16   [ # 4 ]

Please do not be so dismissive of my request.  It is not a faux pas to ask an open source community that I have been involved in for years for a solution to a new challenge.

Does anyone else have a template, a tutorial, demo code, or blog post about the process of developing Away3D on an iPad?

RIPI, Jr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2011 12:36 PM   Total Posts: 33   [ # 5 ]

Using Away3D for an iPad-App is similar to the usage for Desktop-Apps, with some restrictions. I’m currently developing an iPad App, and i use the same code as i use on the Desktop - so you don’t have to worry about that. the more tricky part is to get the certificates: You’ll need to register yourself as an apple developer and get a provisioning profile. There are a lot of tutorials around where this process is explained. I use FDT 5, because it has a preinstalled Mobile-Template, but i think this is kind of similar to the Flash-Develop template.

It’s not that easy to exchange code, because the apps are restricted to a registered developer, a registered machine, a registered (test-)device and a registered App ID. And if you’re on a windows-machine, i’m not really shure if that works out…

But back to your question: There’s no major difference in the usage of Away3D on the iPad.

Greets!

Delfeld, Newbie
Posted: 08 December 2011 06:03 PM   Total Posts: 16   [ # 6 ]

RIPI,

Thanks for the info.  I don’t have a problem with registering apps, and getting them into the iStore. 

Isn’t there a different set of code for touch vs. mouse interaction?  That’s the kind of framework I would like to find (rather than have to code it).  That, and I wouldn’t mind a complete system that has a 2D layer over the 3D, where any content can simply be inserted.

Regards,

Delfeld

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2011 07:19 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 7 ]

Depending on the schedule for your project, it might be worth developing in Away3D 4.0 for the upcoming AIR release…

http://www.flashmagazine.com/news/detail/stage3d_for_ipad_and_iphone/#When:21:52:55Z

(when I post this the normal way, the forum claims it’s spam, had to use fast reply. Ironic given the amount of spam, that links to flashmagazine get flagged… :O)

Delfeld, Newbie
Posted: 08 December 2011 07:44 PM   Total Posts: 16   [ # 8 ]

VERY interesting!  I wish they would release a timeline, and not just show off . . . Adobe: King of the Demo!

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2011 08:11 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 9 ]

I agree. While it’s nice to know what’s coming, if they have a working version why does it take so long to actually release it? Molehill (now Stage3D) was demoed at MAX 10, and then finally released at MAX 11, a whole year later, which is way too long these days. While I sympathise with them, trying to keep the market for flash alive, while not promising things too early, I do wish there was less time between announcement and launch.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X