Multiple 3D screens with tabs

Software: Away3D 4.x

Hector, Sr. Member
Posted: 02 November 2011 10:02 PM   Total Posts: 137

Hi everybody,
I don’t know if this is has been done already. I need to have different 3D screens with different contents in it. The user click tabs to see every screen and he can add (up to 5) or remove tabs. Also, on each screen, the objects can be dragged, added, removed, etc.

What’s the best option with Away3D 4?

1. Use different Scenes with a single view? Something like: view.scene = scene1; view.scene = scene2; etc. (I don’t know if this is possible).

2. Create a new scene, view, camera, etc. on different movieclip containers for each screen?

3. Maybe have a single scene, and put every screen content in separated ObjectContainer3D’s so they are hidden/shown as needed?

Those are the options I can think of at the moment.

inSertCodE, Sr. Member
Posted: 03 November 2011 10:18 AM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 1 ]

I would go with option 2, new view for each scene embedded in different sprite.
You keep track which scene is active (in front view) and skip rendering the other scenes. *if (IsActive == true){render}*

Hector, Sr. Member
Posted: 04 November 2011 05:04 PM   Total Posts: 137   [ # 2 ]

Thanks inSertCodE, that’s the method I’m using at the moment. I’m just worried about the amount of memory or resources used, but it’s easier to control every scene.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 07 November 2011 08:05 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 3 ]

You can have a maximum of four stage3D instances in Flash.
Therefore, if you need 5 View3Ds, you will have to re-use at least one View3D.
I would be inclined to use method 3, especially if you have assets that could be shared across scenes.

Hector, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 November 2011 12:01 PM   Total Posts: 137   [ # 4 ]

Thanks theMightyAtom, I forgot about the limit of four stage3D’s.
Yes almost all the assets are shared across scenes, so I´m making the new version from scratch using method 3.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X