Absolute beginner

Software: Other

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 27 October 2011 04:28 PM   Total Posts: 21

Hi…..

I am completely new to this… I am not a programmer and some of the tutorials i read made my mind go dizzy…. i Don’t know action scripts

I got this question…

Does away3d have a authoring room / Tool, to build the 3d world and adding cams??

I want to build a 3d flash scene from a movie ( Alien - The space jockey scene ) ...
It should work like this:  that people can move around in the scene and look and examine things…

It doesnt have to be a action or shooting game..just a virtual world to discover…

I build my 3d models with wings3d….

I am sorry if this is wrong place to ask…

Thnx in advance….: 3d4ever

ps. sorry for my bad English, I am from The Netherlands..

mb85, Newbie
Posted: 27 October 2011 07:03 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 1 ]

You might want to look into using Unity, which will be able to export to Flash, and supports that world exploration stuff easily.

Away3d is just an actionscript framework; there’s no graphic interface.

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 27 October 2011 08:07 PM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 2 ]

I think I would try preFab. Easy to use and free and you can export to action script for flash.

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 28 October 2011 07:00 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 3 ]

@ mb85 & maddog.. thnx for the sugestions gonna look at them…

1 hour later update:

Well I looked these .. the prefab looked cool.. but doesn’t support cams for export… unity looked to complicated for me… as I said before I don’t have any know how of action script ( looking so complicated, must be my age lol )... well I guess i have to wait till someone makes a open source flash authoring ap…....

Few days ago i watched 3dgamestudio… that looked cool..but!!! .. I only want to create virtual world walk troughs ( so no action games and stuff ) and i don’t want to pay for something i only use 10% off…

regards: 3d4ever

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 28 October 2011 03:22 PM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 4 ]

You can use flashDevelop to author flash for free but, you are right it is kind of a steep learning curve. You would have to set up flashdevelop to export to flash11 and you would have to connect the away3d code to flashDevelop as well. Then you would have to export from prefab. Then import into flashdevelop and set up your camera in flash code. And then render it to flash. So I agree it would be nice if there was a all in one application for that.

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 29 October 2011 04:35 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 5 ]

@ Maddog…

I downloaded and tried 3daway and flash devolep and experimented with it for some hours… but I didn’t get it to work… everytime i did load something in and pressed test movie all i did get was a error “, something like ” character error line 1 - 7 .... ” don’t remember anymore..

==== 3d4ever ====

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 29 October 2011 04:48 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 6 ]

did you set it up to render to flash player 11?  There should be some tutorials out there on how to set it up. Also make sure you have the most resent away3d from https://github.com/away3d/
You may have to ask over at the flashDevelop forum on how to set it up. I have no idea on how to do that since I use flash cs5 to author and am just a little above a beginner myself with away3d. I do know that you can do it though, I set it up about a year ago with old version of away3d, but ended up never using it. I believe I found a tutorial back then maybe even on flash develop site not sure though. What exactly are you to build?  Good Luck

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 29 October 2011 04:55 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 7 ]

In fact I need this…. a simple setup :

A free moving camera with collision detection, navigated by cursor keys..

and the option to load a 3ds model ( a room , or a corridor ) so people can walk around in it ...

See it as a very light version of a doom level, without all the action…

==== 3d4ever ===

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 29 October 2011 05:11 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 8 ]

if you could get it to work prefab can generate all the code for that. It is called bsp/pvs generator. you Just import you 3d environment and run the generator. It will create the all action script for you with collision detection and navigation. Unfortunately you would still have to get flashdevelop to render it. And right now it is not compatible with away3d version 4. So you would have to set up away3d version 3. for flash verion 10. I think it will be several months until away3d gets to updating prefab to flash 11.

Here is a crappy example of prefabs generated code exported from flashdevelop. I played with it a while ago so no laughing at crapyness
http://www.lukascanoe.com/away3d/walk/

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 29 October 2011 05:16 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 9 ]

@ Maddog…

Hey man!!!... that’s exactly what I need…. awesome!!!!!

==== 3d4ever ====

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 29 October 2011 08:45 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 10 ]

Tried and tried and tired now..lol.. but i always get this message when testing the project

C:\Users\xxxxxxl\Desktop\New Project/../movies/away3d-away3d-core-fp10-49af76b/away3d-away3d-core-fp10-49af76b/src/away3d/core/render/Renderer.as:1: characters 0-7 : parse error Unexpected package

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 29 October 2011 06:41 PM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 11 ]

I think I got it working..it builds the flash preview now..only problem is… the flash is completly white..no 3d models to see in it..

wagster, Member
Posted: 29 October 2011 10:02 PM   Total Posts: 68   [ # 12 ]

I would check out Flare3D.  If you don’t know AS3 then Away3D is going to be a big ask.  If you want to use Away3D, learn AS3 and OOP first.  If you want to cut to the chase and don’t need complex functionality, Flare3D has better GUI tools.

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 October 2011 12:03 AM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 13 ]

I guess I would try loading a simple object like a sphere or cube first, before loading anything more complex. I wish I knew more about flashdevelop but I dont

3d4ever, Newbie
Posted: 30 October 2011 09:03 AM   Total Posts: 21   [ # 14 ]

I just watched a youtube movie how to use prefab with flash cs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH3etYMjf94

I didn’t know that, cause i work sometimes with flash cs4 to create little animations for websites

do i need a special setup to use prefab with flash cs4 ?

=== 3d4ever ===

maddog, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 October 2011 04:53 PM   Total Posts: 118   [ # 15 ]

I can’t remember what version of flash player, flashcs4 can export too. You need it to export to flash version 10. Which you can set it up to if it does not.
Never had cs4 i wen from cs3 to cs5.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X