Away3d 4 license

Software: Away3D 4.x

Euklide, Newbie
Posted: 14 October 2011 02:53 PM   Total Posts: 7

Hi, I’m trying to decide between investing a lot of time and effort either in using Away3D 4 or in making my own custom engine with actionscript 3 and AGAL.  Actually I have already invested several days full-time to figure out some undocumented parts of the Away3D 4 code, but before I continue, I’d like to know more about the Apache 2.0 license which seems very generic and confusing for some possible use cases.

Specifically, I’m interested to make commercial, interactive flash-only websites with FP11. 

So, where do the following fit :

_ “(a) You must give any other recipients of the Work or
    Derivative Works a copy of this License”
_ “To apply the Apache License to your work, attach the following
    boilerplate notice, with the fields enclosed by brackets “[]”
    replaced with your own identifying information. (Don’t include
    the brackets!)  The text should be enclosed in the appropriate
    comment syntax for the file format. We also recommend that a
    file or class name and description of purpose be included on the
    same “printed page” as the copyright notice for easier
    identification within third-party archives… ”

In other words, what are my obligations in the above mentioned case?

Somokon, Member
Posted: 14 October 2011 05:53 PM   Total Posts: 75   [ # 1 ]

Basically, you are free to use Apache-licensed software in your proprietary software as long as you include a copy of the Apache license (this doesn’t mean your code has to be Apache-licensed) and provide attribution to the Apache Software Foundation.

see this FAQ

http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html

Euklide, Newbie
Posted: 14 October 2011 10:37 PM   Total Posts: 7   [ # 2 ]
Somokon - 14 October 2011 05:53 PM

as long as you include a copy of the Apache license [...] and provide attribution to the Apache Software Foundation.

Thanks for the response Somokon, but my question is more about the detals. Attribution and a hosted copy of the license with a link from the main page, or just a link to the original license page?  (It’s not about software you can download to “include a copy” of the license. In both cases it is linked)

Are there any example websites that have licensed Away3D properly?

On a second thought, the Apache 2.0 license seems quite fair and flexible, since -if I understand it well, you can even protect your work with a different license, but it would be very helpful to see proper examples.

Any administrators listening?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X