Status of AWD2 3DsMax exporter

Software: Away3D 4.x

SasMaster, Sr. Member
Posted: 01 October 2011 04:27 PM   Total Posts: 127

Hi All.Question to the Team.What is the status of the AWD2 3DsMax? @Richard Olson ,I read in Twitter you have written Cinema4D AWD2 exporter in a matter of minutes ...So what about 3DsMax wink) Also what is the status of the AWD2 C++ SDK ?
Thanks.

Signature 

This looks like a job for superman
http://blog.alladvanced.net

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 01 October 2011 05:08 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 1 ]

hi

i am very interested in this cinema4d exporter.
is it available somewhere ?
does it support skeletonanimation ?

thanks

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 01 October 2011 11:12 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 2 ]

There are no exporters for Cinema4D or 3ds max. What I wote on twitter was that I had created a proof of concept mesh-only exporter script for Cinema4D. It was something I did after having installed C4D just to get a feel for what it’s API looks like. Creating an actual exporter, with a full feature set, GUI et c is a lot more work.

You will likely not see exporters for these packages this year. Polishing the Maya exporter and finishing the Blender exporter will be priority, so as to finish what I’ve started before moving on.

The problem with 3ds max is that it’s a very large investment for me to purchase a license just so I can develop an AWD exporter. I don’t even use windows usually. We are working on finding a way around this problem.

EDIT: to answer your question regarding the C++ SDK, it’s being developed alongside the actual specification, so it supports most if not all of (and sometimes even more than) the specification. However, none of these projects are stable yet. The specification has not been locked down (although it’s very close) and not until that happens can I lock down the API. The format needs to be completely stable, so that it can meet it’s design goals for forward and backward compatibility. The SDK however makes no such promise, so that can be updated more regularly and with less effort.

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 02 October 2011 12:00 AM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 3 ]

ok
false alarm smile

nearly a relieve for me….

when i had read sasmasters post i really thought all my efforts on creating my c4d-away3d-pipline were a waste of time (besides the learing effect).

please take all the time you need to make awd2 a stabil format.

good things take time….

as allways: thanks for your hard work!

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X