away3d.materials.methods.SpecularShadingModel

Software: Away3D 4.x

seanClusta, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 April 2014 09:31 AM   Total Posts: 38

Hi,
I’m going through the Globe Materials Tutorial (nice tutorial by the way, I’ve learnt a lot about materials from it), but there seems to be a couple of references in the tutorial which are missing from the current release of Away3D (fp11_4_1_6)

They are: the shadingModel property of the FresnelSpecularMethod class, and the away3d.materials.methods.SpecularShadingModel class.

Are these no longer necessary to achieve phong shading on a FresnelSpecularMethod? Or has it changed and needs to be applied a different way?

Thanks
Sean

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 09 April 2014 10:05 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 1 ]

No longer necessary.

The Globe example has been changed/updated for PhongSpecularMethod but the tutorial still refers to the old version.

seanClusta, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 April 2014 10:11 AM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 2 ]

OK thanks John,

one more thing…
I’m adding the custom CompositeDiffuseMethod for the earth’s atmosphere and the modulateMethod references properties of the CompositeDiffuseMethod that also no longer exist.
These are:
var viewDirFragmentReg:ShaderRegisterElement = _atmosphereDiffuseMethod.viewDirFragmentReg;
var normalFragmentReg:ShaderRegisterElement = _atmosphereDiffuseMethod.normalFragmentReg;

The viewDirFragmentReg & normalFragmentReg no longer exist and the compiler throws errors. Any idea on how to update this?

Cheers

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 09 April 2014 10:20 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

Use the latest version in the examples
https://github.com/away3d/away3d-examples-fp11/tree/master/src

seanClusta, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 April 2014 10:23 AM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 4 ]

Aah, I thought I had the latest examples. Obviously not!
Great tutorial by the way!

Cheers

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 09 April 2014 10:52 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 5 ]

I see the tut links to github tutorials and not examples.
Yeah, its the usual not everything gets updated when new (more than a year :/ ) things arrive.

While your playing with that..
I would recommend replacing the Lens Flare Effect from classic stage display list and instead use sprite3D.
You would have to change how the positions are calculated.
Call it homework wink

seanClusta, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 April 2014 11:13 AM   Total Posts: 38   [ # 6 ]

I will do, for sure.
Getting some really great results out of Away3D now - very powerful stuff!
Loving the particles too.

A shame the links are out of date, but at least you have some great walk-through tutorials now to help us get up to speed.

Thanks again for the quick reply

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X