Outline a selected mesh with a 2d graphics

Software: Away3D 4.x

codedemen, Newbie
Posted: 02 February 2014 04:58 AM   Total Posts: 9

I am building a 3d client for my turn-based mmo strategy. I am trying to make now a selector for unit on the screen. what I need is to draw a small circle on the floor around a selected unit mesh and its hp above it. What is the best practice to do that? If you would share some examples or online tuts on how it is normally done, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad English.

P.S: For interface I am using starling, but I dont think it is possible to attach starling to a 3d mesh so, that it would move with it… Maybe I am wrong?

james_van, Newbie
Posted: 03 February 2014 06:42 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 1 ]

i haven’t done this personally, so i can’t give you specifics.  but, i have seen other people do successfully.  the way they did it was to add a small, horizontal plane underneath their mesh and add a texture to the plane that had the circle drawn on it.  the would also attach a small vertical plane somewhere above the mesh and either dynamically draw the texture for that plain, or swap textures on the fly to show hp/stats/etc.  they would then use a little code to rotate the plane on the fly so it was always facing the camera.

not sure it’s the best way to do it, but it should work.  if there’s a better method, hopefully someone else will speak up

codedemen, Newbie
Posted: 05 February 2014 08:50 AM   Total Posts: 9   [ # 2 ]

Yes, Ive already made somethig similar - a plane with circle and a Sprite3D object to hold bitmapdata of stats… works fine. Thank you for your reply.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X