Mesh too “squary/edgy”

Software: Away3D 4.x

Fygo, Newbie
Posted: 28 January 2014 08:01 PM   Total Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I am totally new to away3d (basically new to whatever 3d too). I was trying to load a model from 3ds max and I found the following example: http://www.away3d.com/examples/away3d_4_0/Basic_Load3DS/Basic_Load3DS.html Pretty cool. However, when I try to use this code, my model looks really “edgy” (see the attaches file, it is just too obvious where the polygons end).
I made no changes to the code at all, I am just publishing it as an AIR 3.9 file. Does anybody know why this happens and what I did wrong? Thanks a lot!

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 28 January 2014 08:53 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 1 ]

Welcome!

You did nothing wrong smile

The word you’re looking for is “faceted” which basically means you can see each flat face. The opposite is “smoothed”.

Do you have some kind of 3D editing software? I think they should all be able to change this.

Cheers!

Fygo, Newbie
Posted: 28 January 2014 09:19 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 2 ]

Thanks, theMightyAtom! Interesting, I took this model from the source files. So you think they used a different model to what they included to the zip file?

I have just found out I can create a Weld instance and apply it thru code, great!

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 29 January 2014 07:47 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 3 ]

Not sure why they made an unsmoothed version, but perhaps to test the smoothing/weld code? Anyway, glad you’re up and running.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X