Away3D + H.264 video + iOS/Android

Software: Away3D 4.x

Lucid, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 01:11 PM   Total Posts: 93

Right now it isn’t possible to use an H.264 video file (mp4, mov) as a texture (on a 3D object) and have it visually render on an iOS or Android device. This is because both mobile operating systems do not allow access to the decoded video. In the past, both the Adobe and Away3D engineers have deemed it highly unlikely that a solution for getting H.264 video to render on a 3D object using a 3D API for AIR mobile. (yes, .flv files work natively of course but the quality difference between flv and h264 is SUBSTANTIAL)

So…

It has been some time since I’ve last looked into this issue. I’m now curious if it is possible in some way to accomplish this, possibly using an ANE that uses native Objective-C or Java.

Could someone from the Away3D team give their thoughts to this.

Thanks.

SharpEdge, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 01:53 PM   Total Posts: 94   [ # 1 ]

I’m sorry to inform you that .flv use H.264 downer

Lucid, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:01 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 2 ]

Let me be clear here..

ANY video file that uses H.264, whether m4v, mp4 or mov, CANNOT be viewed (visually seen) on an iOS or Android device if applied as a texture (material) to a 3D object (such as a sphere) using a 3D API (such as Away3D). Period.

Adobe recognizes this is true. The Away3D engineers have recognized this as true. Period.

The question now is whether there is a workaround, such as developing an ANE utilizing Objective-C (iOS) or Java (Android).

Using native Objective-C or Java you CAN develop native applications that utilize OpenGL-ES 2 to map an H.264 video file (mp4) to a 3D object.

Question is whether an ANE can be done to accomplish this in AIR - and then apply various interface elements on top of this.

SharpEdge, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:13 PM   Total Posts: 94   [ # 3 ]

(yes, .flv files work natively of course but the quality difference between flv and h264 is SUBSTANTIAL)

I was just saying that the .flv and .f4v formats internally are using H.264 so there is no difference, we’ve used flv for HD and FULLHD streaming and pseudostreaming and the quality is really good.

I don’t know if the problem regards the codec or the file format, but if it’s only about the file format as i said you can use .flv with good results.

Lucid, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:26 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 4 ]

If you compare an .flv file with an H.264 of the same bitrate, the H.264 file will yield significantly higher visual quality nearly 99% of the time. Period.

To achieve the same quality of an H.264 file, you would need to substantially increase the bitrate of the .flv.

The H.264 codec is superior in nearly every respect. Additionally, this post wasn’t created to get into a discussion on codec preferences. Its about finding a solution to a problem.

SharpEdge, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:39 PM   Total Posts: 94   [ # 5 ]

Ok so you could try with .f4v if it’s supported, it’s the successor of .flv and use the new version of h.264 codec.

.f4v is really just encapsulating an H.264/Mpeg4 video so i think you could find the quality you are looking for.

Lucid, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:51 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 6 ]

Maybe I’m still not being clear.

H.264 / AAC video files cannot be used as textures on a 3D object with Adobe AIR using a 3D API (on iOS / Android) - REGARDLESS of the file type/container.

That includes H.264 / AAC encoded media in ANY FILE CONTAINER, including .f4v, mov or mp4 files.

SharpEdge, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 02:59 PM   Total Posts: 94   [ # 7 ]

Ok i thought that was a file format problem from your explanation because you wrote about mov and mp4 in particular.

Sorry man i think that’s a feature that everyone would like to have, i found some difficulties even with Unity3D in mapping videos in 3d space (bad quality).

Also UDK is really limited on this matter.

Lucid, Member
Posted: 18 September 2013 03:07 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 8 ]

In AIR it isn’t a question of low or high quality. The H.264 video will not visually show at all due to the inability of AIR to access the decoded H.264 video from the native OS. (The audio, however, will be heard.)

Which brings me back to the question of whether an ANE could be developed to grant AIR access to this.

Lucid, Member
Posted: 27 April 2014 07:43 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 9 ]

This relates to Away3D and Adobe AIR for mobile.

Please vote to have Bug 3744843 evaluated by Adobe!! Thank you!
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3744843

Lucid, Member
Posted: 27 April 2014 07:44 PM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 10 ]

This relates to Away3D and Adobe AIR for mobile.

Please vote to have Bug 3744843 evaluated by Adobe!! Thank you!
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3744843

‹‹ 3D Text

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X