Fastest Way to Get an FBX model with Animations into Away3D?

Software: Away3D 4.x

guts, Newbie
Posted: 26 March 2013 11:46 AM   Total Posts: 3

Hi guys, I’ve been toying around with Away3D for a couple of days and have been surprised at how difficult it is to get an animated 3d model into the engine.

I have used Flare3D in the past where you would just embed a collada file with animations and it just works.

I’m a Maya user so bear with me here. I tried the 3DS Max exporter, and to my knowledge it seems that you would have to use a biped rig with the motion mixer to get the animations into an AWD format. This is not ideal! As for other formats, I’ve been looking for a good md5 exporter with no luck.

My question is what is the quickest way to get an already animated and rigged 3d model fbx into Away3D?

ddddesigns, Jr. Member
Posted: 26 July 2013 05:55 PM   Total Posts: 37   [ # 1 ]

I would like to know this as well.  I have an animated flag in 3DS Max but not sure what the best import to Away3D would be.

beers, Member
Posted: 26 July 2013 09:57 PM   Total Posts: 53   [ # 2 ]

If you’re using Maya then export as an md5 instead of fbx. Theres a link to an md5 exporter (mel script) in the forums somewhere. Its far from perfect but it does work. You’ll need to rig your models/animations to follow all the md5 guidelines, so its gonna take some trial and error to get it right.

Also, if you want gpu accelerated animation, dont use more than 32 bones per character, else it defaults to cpu instead of gpu.

Import the md5 into awayBuilder or Prefab, and then export to away3d format.
In awayBuilder you need to connect all the animation sets etc, but its kinda neat. Prefab automates the process a little more.

beers

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 27 July 2013 09:54 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

See post by Koga and me
http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/2447/P30

Install that for Maya
You can then export awd with bone animation from Maya.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X