Mesh as child of other mesh appearing behind everything else in scene.

Software: Away3D 4.x

e side gallery, Newbie
Posted: 15 June 2013 04:11 PM   Total Posts: 8

Hey,

I recently upgraded a project from 4.0 to 4.1.1 beta to avoid a context loss problem.

It’s a book with double-sided pages. I took some advice from this forum for creating double-sided planes by adding a second plane mesh as a child of the first and inverting the faces. This all worked fine in 4.0.

However since 4.1, as the page flips and curls over, the back-side of the page appears behind everything else in the scene. Not only the parent mesh (i.e. the front side of the page) but every other mesh in the scene.

I can confirm that this isn’t an issue with the bend mod I’m using, as the same problem occurs if I remove that and just change the rotationY of the page.

Take a look at the 4.0 and 4.1.1 screenshots below.

Thanks,

Tim

e side gallery, Newbie
Posted: 17 June 2013 12:50 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 1 ]

Do any experts have an idea what’s happening here? Would this be considered a bug, or is the practive of adding meshes as children of other meshes not advised any more? (in favour of using ObjectContainer3D perhaps?)

e side gallery, Newbie
Posted: 18 June 2013 09:06 AM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 2 ]

I’ve pulled the latest 4.1.2 version, but still nothing. Any advice at all?

e side gallery, Newbie
Posted: 19 June 2013 06:53 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 3 ]

Ok, I’ve finally gotten to the bottom of it.

It had nothing to do with the fact that one mesh was a child of another, as I discovered when switching to using an ObjectContainer3D. It was in fact to do with using alphaBlending on the material. I needed to apply the zOffset property, as explained in this post: http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/3495/

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X