Mirror Mesh with Normalmap

Software: Away3D 4.x

estrich, Newbie
Posted: 29 May 2013 12:04 PM   Total Posts: 2

Hi all!

To save bandwidth we want to cut our symetrical models in half and mirror them at runtime. I’m using the current dev github version of Mirror to do this (as I understand there have been some significant bugfixes for this class in the last weeks). Everything is working fine - except for the normalmaps.
I am familiar with the problem of inverted normalmaps when mirroring geometry (I guess there is no fix for this in away3d yet?) - but have encountered a slightly different problem.
In my project the bumps on the mirrored model are not just inverted - but in some parts of the model they are displayed correctly while in other parts they are flipped…

If I invert the tangents manually, I get the opposit - now the parts which where correct before are inverted and vice versa.

Does anybody have an idea what I’m doing wrong? And is there a fix for the mirror normal map problem in away3d?

Thanks in advance,
estrich

P.S. We are using PreFab to export our models.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 29 May 2013 12:30 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

That’s correct, I got same issue, the lighting becomes inverted. We are looking at this problem. Hope we’ll have a fix very soon.

estrich, Newbie
Posted: 29 May 2013 02:41 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 2 ]

Thanks! I guess that would at least solve the “standard” problem of flipped bumpes when the UVs are mirrored and would already help us a lot!
I guess this should be done in the normalmap shader - when calculating the binormal.

I’m not sure if this will solve my problem (where some bumps are correct and others are not) - but I guess we will find our.

Thanks again and I’m looking forward to a fix =)

cheers,
estrich

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X