Create 3DS/OBJ Object for AWAY3D Workflow

Software: Away3D 4.x

HugoW, Newbie
Posted: 15 May 2013 07:02 AM   Total Posts: 11

Hello All,

I’d like to learn how to export an 3D obj from 3D Max (2012). There is a existing thread about this topic :http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/3770/.

However, there is no much detail about how to export an obj/3ds file along with the texture file.
Please instruct me on how to export an object such as “soldier_ant.3ds” + “soldier_ant.jpg” from the official tutorial sample.

Thanks.

BRs- Hugo

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 15 May 2013 09:36 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

If you already can export the geometry, you can assign a material (load a map) in Prefab3D or AwayBuilder, then export from these programs.

HugoW, Newbie
Posted: 15 May 2013 11:47 PM   Total Posts: 11   [ # 2 ]

Hello Fabrice,

Thanks for your info. I’m playing around with AwayBuilder and Prefab3D and found there is no option for outing the 3DS file such as “soldier_ant.3DS” in the tutorial sample.

Since learning new tool is fun, but do require adding more steps in the work flow. I really want to learn how the “solder_ant.3DS” and “soldier_ant.jpg” are exported.

In addition, can I export an object to “AWD” directly by 3D MAX? Any plug-in is needed?

Never mind me!

Plug-in INFO HERE

Thanks.

BRs- Hugo

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 16 May 2013 08:10 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

Everyone has his own preffered flow, but one thing should be kept in mind.
Both Prefab3D and AwayBuilder are made for real time 3d and Away3D in particular. Both run using Stage3D, which give you a very clear idea on how it will run in your final project.

If your project is relatively “big”, it is almost certain, that you will have to spend extra time if you build the project entirely in max, blender, maya etc because their purpose and the way they handle the data is very different than how Away3d will handle it in the end. In fact that’s why all the engines for Stage3D such as Flare3D, Minko etc have dedicated editors.
So I would recommand focus on how to bring data to these apps instead of way around.

“there is no option for outing the 3DS file”
Awaybuilder focusses on awd and has no export feature.
Prefab has exports to AS3 for Away3D 2.0 to 4.1, obj, ac, asd, md2, awd1.0,awd2.0, ThreeJS, DXF and STL. 3DS import is supported, but there is no export to it yet.

“I export an object to “AWD” directly by 3D MAX? “
Yes there is a plugin, look on awd page, but its for 11 or 12 version of max, and export is awd 2.0. But you could export as obj of collada too…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X