Flash Player 11 beta 2 destroyed my demos

Software: Away3D 4.x

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 02:56 AM   Total Posts: 281

yeah title says it all. Is Adobe trying to steal all of our work the way they did Joa Ebert’s? So this beta 2 release has me screwed again on my demos I converted to FP 11 beta 1. What they have done for ECMA script is laudable, but cmon give us a reach around here.

EFFalcon, Jr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 03:17 AM   Total Posts: 44   [ # 1 ]

oh great….

what a pain in the A!

EFFalcon, Jr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 03:27 AM   Total Posts: 44   [ # 2 ]

my project has gone from ~30-40fps to 2fps…
and the shadows arn’t working.

the target keeps moving!

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 10 August 2011 07:12 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

@Choons: Your post leaves me with nothing but questions. What’s the problem with beta 2? How did they steal Joa’s work? Do you really want Adobe to give you a “reach-around”!?

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 05:05 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 4 ]

teehee- never post things after your 3rd vodka tonic tongue rolleye But yeah pretty annoying that they don’t seem to mind that every Away3D 4.0 demo on the interwebs gets messed up with each new release. A tiny bit of backward compatibility would be nice

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 10 August 2011 06:50 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

While I do understand where you’re coming from, I really feel for Adobe in this regard. The Flash Player, it’s APIs and the SWF format are, always have been and continue to be completely backwards compatible. This means that the decisions they do now is something they will need to live with for the entire lifespan of this technology. Working on the AWD format makes me very aware of this.

This is the reason why they are, and I believe should be, making a lot of changes while still in pre-release, so that when Flash Player 11 is finally released it will stand the test of time to the greatest extent possible.

But back to the subject. Are you having problems with Away3D in the latest player version, or was it simply a matter of recompiling?

Cheers
/R

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 07:03 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 6 ]

yeah very valid points. Well I noticed the problem on a different computer that has beta 2 installed. I’m just going to hold off a bit on installing beta 2 on my own computers until I hear all’s well with it and Away3D. Once you update those betas there’s no going back to the previous one unless you’ve saved it somewhere (I didn’t).

Somokon, Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 07:50 PM   Total Posts: 75   [ # 7 ]

I was able to update my project with no problems.

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 10 August 2011 07:57 PM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 8 ]

Flash Player 11 beta 2 improved my demos

woohoo extra 10fps on my crappy card.
Wonder if this flash player and the latest nvidia update are related.
Worked both before and after recompile.

EFFalcon, Jr. Member
Posted: 10 August 2011 11:04 PM   Total Posts: 44   [ # 9 ]

I’ve recompiled mine and performance has gone horrible.
almost like its running in software mode now.

might need to try and find a beta 1 to go back to temporarily

Alexander Seifert, Moderator
Posted: 12 August 2011 07:51 AM   Total Posts: 129   [ # 10 ]

You’re scaring me, people raspberry

Signature 
signature_image

http://www.deltastrike.org

EFFalcon, Jr. Member
Posted: 12 August 2011 12:24 PM   Total Posts: 44   [ # 11 ]

its ok, my issue seems to be a flash 11 issue, not away3d :D

Somokon, Member
Posted: 12 August 2011 08:26 PM   Total Posts: 75   [ # 12 ]

I needed to re-edit my html template to set wmode=“direct” today.  Thats probably what has happened if you are suddenly rendering in software mode again.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 13 August 2011 08:35 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 13 ]

From the Release notes…

Hardware accelerated rendering of Stage3D is not supported for graphics drivers released prior to 2009, due to incompatibilities in older drivers. These systems will utilize software rendering

This could be the cause of some machines suddenly reverting to software rendering in Beta 2. In some cases (my old laptop included) updating the graphics driver can help.

I have installed Beta 2 player in IE (which I otherwise never use) and checked all my demos and they work fine. I haven’t started compiling with the Beta2 swc, after being scared poo-less by Choons original post.

Sounds like it’s time to take the plunge.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 13 August 2011 08:50 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 14 ]

Hopefully this will change again before launch.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889420?tstart=0

It seems strange to me to drop support for configurations that were working fine in Beta 1. This will surely affect a large portion of the internet users.
The driver update for my machine was a 96Mb download, not something you’d want to put your site visitors through. I’m guessing they are trying to reduce the footprint of the Flash Player itself, but hopefully Adobe will chose the right compromise.

SasMaster, Sr. Member
Posted: 13 August 2011 11:21 AM   Total Posts: 127   [ # 15 ]

I can also admit that the latest player 11 only improved the performance on my machines. smile

Signature 

This looks like a job for superman
http://blog.alladvanced.net

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X